• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Derv Power

dirtdog

I own a STDT and it's obviously feeling down on power because it never really had none in the first place!

It seems people have been tuning the pug derv engines up quite a bit

'boost' & 'intercoolers' .......all these wonderful words of witchcraft :blink:

When I asked the local grease monkey about these things he looked at me stupid. "theres no point..that wont fit...diffrent engine...you cant tune a derv....you'll blow it up....it'll take a full day to change the inlet manifold ...the valve clearance never goes out on these" etc etc :wacko:

I'm really am well and truly sorry to clog up your wonderful gti forum with dirty derv topics, and I fully understand most people here will have about as much knowledge as I do about the XUD7T.

I've heard that it's possible to get 1.6 gti BHP figures from these engines with considerably more torque.Whilst being able to maintain better MPG... :lol:

Can anyone give me an advice on doing so? I think from standard they are 78bhp..not sure of the 'lbft'..

I know i'm going to have to change the inlet manifold to fit an intercooler. The fuel pump adjustment screws all have their factory..wire lock things on them, so I don't think its EVER been fiddled with.(84K on clocks so i'm my opinion it's well overdue a tune up) Is the fuel screw the only one i'd have to tweak? I don't really want/need a higher max engine speed. The injectors are being re-newed as I speak because they are a bit leaky and drip overnight. How do I raise the boost and will I need a gauge to work by? Thinking about

a dump valve for the lucas pump ive seen...if it works properly.Valve clearances need to be checked, and the rod that comes out of the engine(not the timing side) is leaky.

I'm hoping for around 100bhp at the fly, seeing as the rover 218 uses the same engine with a intercooler and produced 90bhp. Does this sound reasonable or am I just being bloody stupid? Any information or advice is much appreciated, thank you !!

dirtdog

thanks ryan, it has given me a slightly better understanding

pug_ham
the valve clearance never goes out on these" etc etc

Can't be much of a mechanic, the XU7 engines are quite well known for the valve clearances closing up when the mileage starts to creep up which makes them a pig to start & smokey as fluck but not so much on the XU9's for some reason. :)

If it is poor starting from cold, besides checking the glow plugs work the next thing to look at imo is the valve clearances.

I'm hoping for around 100bhp at the fly, seeing as the rover 218 uses the same engine with a intercooler and produced 90bhp. Does this sound reasonable or am I just being bloody stupid? Any information or advice is much appreciated, thank you !!

Its possible but not very likely with the lucas pump because not much can be adjusted, best find a Bosch one from a 309, 405 or 218 TD.

As for fitting the intercooler, have a read of this topic which you posted on previously as a few of the replies are relevent to your questions.

Graham.

dirtdog

no..the mechanics in this area are terrible. what's worst is that the guy was recommended as being the best around. what a joke!

thanks pugtorque.

I am trying to find a nice little donor in local scrap yards..also reading up about lower radiator and fitting cossie 2wd I/C

I know how to check them, but how do you adjust/set them?

also..I cant find it at the moment but didn't you put ...was it a 306 priming pump and fuel filter housing on your STDT?

As for the pump..I may play with the lucas one and see what can be done. I've heard people saying the bosch is better but i'm not sure of how easy it would be to change.. I can see something suprising me along the way. If I changed the pump..I got a feeling it ain't going to be straight forward somehow

pug_ham
also..I cant find it at the moment but didn't you put ...was it a 306 priming pump and fuel filter housing on your STDT?

I fitted the later style fuel filter housing & priming bulb from a 205 diesel but the housing is the same as fitted to the 306.

As for the pump..I may play with the lucas one and see what can be done. I've heard people saying the bosch is better but i'm not sure of how easy it would be to change.. I can see something suprising me along the way. If I changed the pump..I got a feeling it ain't going to be straight forward somehow

The lucas pump has very little adjustment but it shouldn't be that hard to change, you don't need to touch the cambelt or tensioners at all, just fit the locking pins as if you were changing the cambelt & there are only three mounting nuts & a bracket at the injector pipe ends to undo. (its three spanner job according to the Haynes diesel engine manual. :rolleyes:)

The text below is from a pm I got from DTORU a while ago when I ws asking about this after talking to Chris on on of the meets;

You need one from a Citroen Xantia or ZX or 306 TD. Basically any Bosch pump will do exept for the later ones that have the throttle position sensor on top of the throttle arm.

To swap the pump for a Bosch one though you'll need;

Bosch Pump + Pulley + Wudruff Key.

Waxstart / Cold Start Cable Thingee, Bosch Ones Are Longer, I Think.

Injector Lines

Inejectors

The three pin multi plug that goes to the pump cut off at a suitable length so that you can wire it up. All three wires go to the one single wire that you have on your car.

IIRC Chris also said you need to move one of the mounting studs on the engine to fit the Bosch pump on a previously Luicas pump engine but the hole is there & threaded ready so its no trouble.

Graham.

welshpug

not too sure why you say Lucas can't be adjusted as much as the Bosch pump, it still has a Max fuel screw and a boost compensator screw, its just that they aren't as accessible as they are on the Bosch pump.

the only way that Bosch is better is the fact that it doesn't rely on diesel for lubrication, hence why the Bosch pump will happily run on 100% veg oil, whereas the Lucas pumps tend to seize up and die.

and the aforementioned ease of adjustment.

100 BHP is perfectly feasible if you install an intercooler, especially front mounted, another option would be chargecooling which is covered on the main site for the petrol engines, I have seen the same Subaru Legacy chargecooler setup on a 1.9 TD 306 and coupled with a straight through single silencer exhaust the lad had 127bhp from the standard turbo.

pug_ham
not too sure why you say Lucas can't be adjusted as much as the Bosch pump, it still has a Max fuel screw and a boost compensator screw, its just that they aren't as accessible as they are on the Bosch pump.

Because they awkward to adjust & they have a large tendancy to smoke badly when tweaked so its time consuming (ie costly) to play with them. Changing the static timing on the Lucas pump is also much more faff.

Where with the bosch pump is much easier to adjust & they give better power straight out of the box.

Graham.

dirtdog

i thought about a charge cooler a while back after reading the 'legacy' article, but i don't like the fact that the water can heat up and stay hot.i suppose they are great for sprint cars and such ...but for everyday use i'll stick with an i/c i think. have been trying to find rough prices on the 2wd cossie ones but i've not seen one yet

i'll try and have a play around with the lucas myself to save a few quid, if its not up to much and it smokes bad i'll go and try to hunt down a bosch unit.

what turbo would I have? i have read that there are two types..KKK and Garett T2

The garett is supposed to be good for 130bhp and the KKK slightly less..

thanks for the help guys

welshpug

the only reason people tend to get smoky engines with the Lucas setup is the finer degree if adjustment required, it simply takes more time to achieve due to the location of the max fuelling screw (inside the pump)

unsure what you mean by the coolant in the chargecooler setup"staying hot", its circulated through a second radiator to dissipate the heat.

dirtdog

ah right. i thought the water would heat up after a few miles and stay hot. i didnt know it had a seperate radiator. problem being..i dont have much space to play with.fitting a small intercooler wll require some work(ok not much)...but to fit a chargecooler and a radiator plus piping, dependng how big they are i may have to shuffle a few things about...i will have a better read up about these legacy coolers..maybe i can find another vehicle with something similar.

i am talkin with jimistdt now and again..throwing ideas around about cooling.maybe if he uses an intercooler i'll try to use the chargecooler..or vice versa

thanks

Ryan
ah right. i thought the water would heat up after a few miles and stay hot. i didnt know it had a seperate radiator. problem being..i dont have much space to play with.fitting a small intercooler wll require some work(ok not much)...but to fit a chargecooler and a radiator plus piping, dependng how big they are i may have to shuffle a few things about...i will have a better read up about these legacy coolers..maybe i can find another vehicle with something similar.

i am talkin with jimistdt now and again..throwing ideas around about cooling.maybe if he uses an intercooler i'll try to use the chargecooler..or vice versa

thanks

The radiator for the chargecooler doesn't have to be too big. Something like a motorcycle rad is normally enough.

Doc-Evil

Get the spanners out and tweak it youth !!! :mellow:

Chop the centre box out and fill the resulting hole with a straight pipe - spools up quicker and doesn't get much louder (honest).

As for identifying your turbo your gonna need to get your shirt mucky - crawl under the car and look up the back of the motor and you should see it nestled above the subframe, you can either read off the the id plate on the compressor housing (silver end closest to the timing belt end of the engine) or if you know what an actuatuor (an example from a 306 dt is shown in the image) is you can tell immediately because a garrett has one and the kkk doesn't - it use's a cast wastegate affair and is the most likely to be fitted to yours.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh95/ph...et/DSCN0306.jpg

dirtdog

yea i cut that box out already.as you say it makes it no louder.but i didnt notice it spooling up quicker if im honest :mellow:

i'll climb under the car next time i get a chance. are the swapable? if i've got a kkk i'd wanna swap for the garett..

thanks again guys

Sign in to follow this