• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtimon

Bike Carbs - Distributor ?

gtimon

I've fitted the Bike Carbs to the Boggs manifold and it runs fine, even better than the injection system at tickover. Nice and smooth.

But with the Bike carbs there is no pick-up for the Vac Advance and Retard.

Do I need to alter the timing or modify the Distributor to get the right advance curves etc. with Bike carbs. ???????

thxs

welshpug

to get the most out of it yes, the standard curve wont be ideal for it.

gtimon

Ok,

So what do I have to do ???

Modfy the distributor or what.???

Ormy

It depends what the car is mainly used for really, vacuum advance improves a number of things that are beneficial to a road car (economy, idle etc) but not so much to a track car.

gtimon

Thxs for that,

The car is solely a track day car.

Basically do I, leave it as it is and alter the timing, modify the current dizzy or get a dizzy specially for this type of application.

I am going to get it onto a rolling road once all the mods are carried out and set the Carbs and timing etc.

DamirGTI

Well :) , you could get away with just adjusting the timing with std. advance curve , but if you want proper job/effect reset the dizzy spring rate according to the engine specs ..

Is there any other mods on your engine bar the carbs ?

Recurving the dizzy isn't expensive (roughly 20.00 quid ..) and from my experience , by all means , job worth to do .. even for the standard car/engine as these days , being 20year old cars , they all have pretty tired distributors (the springs inside the dizzy weakens/stretch up with age which leads to jerky/unstable idle , loss of power etc. )

Myself (and most of us with modified engines running on dizzy igntion system ..) have been using this firm for dizzy recurving job: http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/ ... and with very good results :)

Rgs ! B)

Damir

and ... remove/block the vacuum advance mechanism , no need for this in track car/engine ..

Edited by DamirGTI

Sign in to follow this