• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Changing Gearbox, Anything Else Need Replacing?

Rich_p

I'm hoping to have my be3 box fitted quite soon in place of the be1 thats in there(93 car so it needs a be3)

(Anyone who's any good at this and nearish Essex want to help for some beer tokens?!)

I believe the release bearing will need changing and from reading up I guess the driveshaft oil seals to, anything else I should think about relacing while it's being done?

I have a full group N mount set waiting to go on to so the gearbox mount will be done at the same time.

welshpug

Crank seal and gearbox input shaft seal is a good idea while its all apart :)

probably replace the whole clutch if its an unknown item.

Anthony

Unless it's an Mi16 BE1 box that you've got currently, you'll need to swap the clutch pedal and cable over to BE3.

Check the clutch friction plate has plenty of meat and the cover is in good nick. Also worth having a check that there's no evidence of oil leaking from the crank seal, as thats a box-off job to fix and hence if it is leaking, you might as well do it at the same time.

Rich_p

It's a 1.6 be1 box.

It currently doesn't have any of the lift up reverse etc fitted to it so you can push it straight into reverse when going for first(!) so I'm thinking it still has the be3 set up fitted?

luggy

Get the flywheel skimmed if your replacing the clutch.

Anthony
It currently doesn't have any of the lift up reverse etc fitted to it so you can push it straight into reverse when going for first(!) so I'm thinking it still has the be3 set up fitted?

Unless it's been bodged, you'll need a BE3 pedal and BE3 clutch cable then.

Easiest way to check is to look at the clutch pedal where the cable joins - BE1 has a hole in the pedal with a pin through it, whereas BE3 the pedal has a hook on the end.

This is totally seperate to the lift-up mechanism/cable.

Rich_p

I've tried having a look and can't see the attachment on the pedal, do I need to remove it to check?

Also the pedal has always felt a bit odd, very much like on/off and pings back rather than feeling smooth.

Can that be because it's got a late type spring and an early pedal?

jord294

imho, i wouldn't fit a group n mount for the gearbox.

i'd just fit the bottom engine mount with a solid bush and keep the top engine mount and gearbox mount as o/e parts

Rich_p

i'd just fit the bottom engine mount with a solid bush and keep the top engine mount and gearbox mount as o/e parts

I have the full set sitting waiting to go on anyway so may as well fit them now!

Baz

Why?

I'd kind of agree if it's a standard comy-ish road car, but IMO it depends what you want to use it for! :)

jord294
Why?

I'd kind of agree if it's a standard comy-ish road car, but IMO it depends what you want to use it for! :)

i agree with you baz. depends what the car is going to be used for?

i was just advising what i'm happy with. should of stated why before :)

i have tried full group n rubbers, and found too much vibration. so with the set up i now have (150bhp 8v engine, 1.6 box), the new o/e top mount and o/e gearbox mounts, with the solid bottom rubber bush, suits my fast(ish) road car better

Rich_p

It's road legal but will only be used on the road to get me to and from tracks/airfields so comfort or noise is not an issue at all.

Can anyone comment on my question about the weird feeling clutch pedal?

Edited by Rich_p

James_m

The group N gearbox mount alone makes almost no difference. i Switched from a newish OE to group N and i couldnt feel anymore vibration, or see any less engine movement for that matter.....

Rich_p
Can anyone comment on my question about the weird feeling clutch pedal?

Anyone?

Rich_p

Just digging up an old post, does anyone have the part numbers for the crank seal, input shaft seal and driveshaft oil seals please, I'm not having much luck with service box!

CosKev

After just giving my gearbox a quick going over I would recommend:

Drive shaft seals,

Speedo drive 'O' ring seal,

Speedo drive housing 'O' ring seal,

And also take the diff housing off and re-seal with fresh sealer,was oil between the two faces on mine.

Also do the same with the end casing on the box.

Welshpug,have you seen the input shaft seals leak????

Will get one if you have before my box goes back in :(

Sign in to follow this