• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Split Outer Cv Boot?

Rich_p

Can I get away running the car for an airfield day with a split outer CV boot?

I've only just noticed it's like it. I'm pretty sure it was like it on the last day out I used it for.

I won't have time to fix it as the day is on Friday and I already have to try and remove and replace a top engine mount that is in several pieces.

welshpug

how badly split is it? a small hole and not too much getting out you may be able to superglue back together, if its pissing out noticeable I wouldn't risk driving it let alone tracking it!

its less than an hour's work.

Rich_p

[its less than an hour's work.

It's an hour I don't have as I have to do it in the evenings. Plus an hour for a normal person would be 4 for me :)

I have always payed other people to work on more major things on my cars, I'm only just starting to attempt any real mechanical work other than fitting airfilters and exhausts etc.

I think it is split the whole way round, it looks like it's in 2 sections. Doesn't seem to have sprayed anything out though.

I guess it could account for the rumble I think I can feel from that side if its already dry.

Looks like the civic might get a run out then!

welshpug

sounds like its already shot I'm afraid!

Rich_p

Nadgers, thats another thing to add to the list of to buy and to do's. Whole new driveshaft time right?

I hate Peugeots. a cheap toy has turned into a money pit!

I should have got a 2nd Civic!

CaptainK

I hear you on that - many thousands and it still doesn't work 100%. Oh well, at least its fun to drive. :blink:

RonnieG

As stated on other postings the 205 driveshafts are not too deadly at £40 - £50 exchange from GSF.

Just remember to specify a GKN one when you buy/order as these seem to have the best reputation for quality.

If you're going to be changing it anyway you could always just try running yours - If it's not making too much noise you'd be unlucky if it didn't survive the day and if it fails you're going to be replacing it anyway....

You might need to take it carefully though if you need the car for transport home too though.

jamiej
Nadgers, thats another thing to add to the list of to buy and to do's. Whole new driveshaft time right?

I should have got a 2nd Civic!

To be honest mate, the Peugeot parts are PEANUTS compared to other car parts.

I have just sold my MR2, i paid £65 for a wheel bearing, £35 for a track rod end ... thats expensive. paid £12 for a pair of track rod ends for the 205 !! madness cheap.

Rich_p

The airfield is only 10 mins from my house so if it does break it's not the end of the world.

I agree the parts are so much cheaper than other cars. I got a gearbox for £50, if I replaced the one in the civic for a 2nd hand one I'd be looking at between £400 and £600.

It's just the fact that the cost spirals, I'm going to end up replacing pretty much everything on it to get it feeling nice and solid and that was never the plan!

welshpug

I still wouldn't risk it, the damage a driveshaft/CV can cause when it lets go is quite something if you're unlucky.

pug_ham
I think it is split the whole way round, it looks like it's in 2 sections. Doesn't seem to have sprayed anything out though.

I guess it could account for the rumble I think I can feel from that side if its already dry.

If its is split right round & its dry then its been split for a while to spray all the grease out but there should be some sign of the grease somewhere. Either inside the wheel rim or around the inside of the wheel arch.

Personally I wouldn't use it, I killed a driveshaft when I first got my Pug in a drive up the motorway after (foolishly) fitting a split driveshaft boot kit that lasted under 500 miles & cost me a brand new genuine driveshaft from Peugeot.

On a trackday you are seriously risking it if there are tight corners where you will be using full throttle, if you manage to snap the driveshaft you'll kill thesession most likely while you are towed off much to the displeasure of everyyone else on track with you.

Graham.

christopher

I guess it really depends on how split it is and how long you have been running it like that.

I had a small split in mine just before I had a 600 mile roundtrip. The ordered replacement took a few days to come back from peugeot. It was still full of Cv grease, so I gave it a good clean and then wrapped in in copious layers of duck tape. Making sure that there was lots of room for movement. I actually drove it quite a few months like this without problems. It was still intact when I replaced the whole shaft.

But as pugtorque says. If you are going to rag it round a track you are pushing the limit. Bite the bullet and buy a repacement. Its not worth the risk

Rich_p
If its is split right round & its dry then its been split for a while to spray all the grease out but there should be some sign of the grease somewhere. Either inside the wheel rim or around the inside of the wheel arch.

Personally I wouldn't use it, I killed a driveshaft when I first got my Pug in a drive up the motorway after (foolishly) fitting a split driveshaft boot kit that lasted under 500 miles & cost me a brand new genuine driveshaft from Peugeot.

On a trackday you are seriously risking it if there are tight corners where you will be using full throttle, if you manage to snap the driveshaft you'll kill thesession most likely while you are towed off much to the displeasure of everyyone else on track with you.

Graham.

On reading this I may be being a complete numpty, it may have a split driveshaft boot kit on there! I'll have a check under there tonight.

Sign in to follow this