• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Ebc Yellows

MrG

looking at sorting my brakes for the tracks days I intend to do and would like to use Yellows but the EBC web site says they don't produce yellows for the 205 (only greens)? Is this so?

If this is the case whats a viable alternative? I've done a search and can see info on the Mintex and DS's but nothing concrete.

McDude

I use Mintex 1144s which are a fast road pad. A lot of guys use the 1155s which are a track pad. I believe there are 1166s as well for moon landings.

The 1144s are superb on road, bite well and never fade. I pushed them hard on track and they weren't too bad either, perhaps suffered a little bit and have been squealing ever since! I wouldn't use them for racing, but that's not what they are for.

MrG

excellent thanks, just what I needed to hear.

projectpug

I think balancemotorsport and ESp design do yellows for a 205. I use ds3000's awesome pad if a little hard and more track orientated than road.

MrG

Thanks Project, I now have a set of yellows on their way to me!

projectpug

Happy to help :P

CaptainK

Let us know how you get on with the Yellows - I'm considering a set for my 205 in a few months time. :)

MrG

will do, they should be here weds. I know the Pug is light but a friend of mine who tracks an e30 BMW has tried so many and the yellows have so far been the better pads he's used.

C_W

I'm a Yellowstuff convert, have used them on my 205 for a few years now. I usually get mine from Larkspeed for about £40 (only seem to be listed under 309GTi). Previously used DS3000 for a couple of yeras and they are "better" than Yellowstuff in that they are super high friction and will lock tryes at any speed but they cost twice the price and the brakedust is immense and nasty to your wheels. The Yellows are easier to modulate even if they need a firmer push.

Have been using Yellows on my BMW M Coupe too after giving up on Ferodo DS pads due to them creating bad brake judder.

welshpug

take care for the first few trips if they have the bedding in material, they can be rather sharp, they lead to a few :blink: moments for a friend when we fitted some the evening before a rally :lol:

Edited by welshpug

James_R

Interesting info, I've been with DS2500's for years, was going to move to DS3000's next though, C_W have you run DS3000's with semi's/slicks or just road tyres??

Thanks

Rich_p

I had yellows on the front of the 1.6 before I swapped it, I was quite impressed with them. A massive difference from the standard ones.

I will probably replace the OMP pads the 309 currently has with Yellows when they need doing.

They definately need a few stamps on the pedal to get them warmed up and working properly.

I think I payed £20 for mine as my friend works for one of the F1 teams and EBC give them discount so he picked them up from the factory for me.

Jrod

How are yellows from cold?

I'm currently using reds and am considering trying yellows next but they need to perform well cold.

CaptainK
I'm currently using reds and am considering trying yellows next but they need to perform well cold.

This is my reasoning behind the change as I too want better from cold. The redstuffs are awful when cold (part of the reason why I crashed my FTO). I've heard the yellows are better when cold so I'm gonna try them on my 205 as thats already got very good brakes so a little bit of a cold start issue won't be a problem there.

Jrod

I think the reds are ok from cold, as the yellows are higher temp i thought they are likely to be worse. Saying that as I use solid discs they get up to temp quite quickly.

Edited by Jrod

veloce200

be interested to know if people have been using yellow 1846 or yellow 1793 (stamped on pad and usually box)

thanks

Julian

(balancemotorsport)

SPGTi
be interested to know if people have been using yellow 1846 or yellow 1793 (stamped on pad and usually box)

thanks

Julian

(balancemotorsport)

What is the difference ?

By the way I am a convert to Carbon Lorraine pads. They just work well all the time. Drawbacks are squeal when driving around town, quite harsh on discs but the stopping power and fade resistance is awesome.

Steve

Dan Ingram

I've used DS2500 and DS3000. The DS3000 are mental, I was out braking Caterfields round Oulton Park with those in, problem is that they make a lot of mess and I had to repaint my wheels after I'd used them, they eat discs and I used 3/4 of the pad in one track day so they can get expensive as they are £60 odd a set to start with and they can lock a wheel up quite easily. They don't fade at all though.

DS2500 are the better choice though. Performance wise they arn't quite as good as the DS3000 but not far off. they make a lot less mess, last loads longer and don't eat discs any where near as quickly. I've also not managed to get any fade with them yet.

Batfink
What is the difference ?

By the way I am a convert to Carbon Lorraine pads. They just work well all the time. Drawbacks are squeal when driving around town, quite harsh on discs but the stopping power and fade resistance is awesome.

Steve

Interested to know what disks you are running?

I'm getting some stock for my shop of the Carbone Lorraine pads.

Will be trialing a set of RC5's on my BMW as an evaluation :)

Oh if you have any questions get them to me asap as I have a guy from Carbone Lorraine over for a meeting this afternoon!

Edited by Batfink

C_W
I've used DS2500 and DS3000. The DS3000 are mental, I was out braking Caterfields round Oulton Park with those in, problem is that they make a lot of mess and I had to repaint my wheels after I'd used them, they eat discs and I used 3/4 of the pad in one track day so they can get expensive as they are £60 odd a set to start with and they can lock a wheel up quite easily. They don't fade at all though.

DS2500 are the better choice though. Performance wise they arn't quite as good as the DS3000 but not far off. they make a lot less mess, last loads longer and don't eat discs any where near as quickly. I've also not managed to get any fade with them yet.

The 3000s should last longer than the 2500 due to being a race pad, agree with you on the stopping power and awful brake dust though (but then 2500s aren't grreat for dust either, it's just not as aggressive as the 3000s).

C_W
Interesting info, I've been with DS2500's for years, was going to move to DS3000's next though, C_W have you run DS3000's with semi's/slicks or just road tyres??

Thanks

Just road tyres and tbh they would probably be better suited to track tyres/slicks so you could really use them as they were difficult to modulate the brakes; just medium braking them at times created monster lock ups. Saying that the brakes on it now feel really poor with Yellows but I don't know if that's because the car hasn't been used properly for a year.

Yellows seem to work fine from cold on the BMW but the brakes on the 205 don't feel so good but I wouldn't use that as an accurate gauge as the brakes haven't been used properly for so long.

James_R

sorry for the questions do you run 1.9 brakes or bigger??

I find my DS2500's ok from col, but come on properly after the 2nd press of the pedal they dn't fade, seem to have issues with glazing though and did cook a set at cadwell afte running on slicks and cracked a discs :)

Hence thinking to move to DS3000's, so yellow's are more like 2500's than 3000's?

SPGTi
Interested to know what disks you are running?

I'm getting some stock for my shop of the Carbone Lorraine pads.

Will be trialing a set of RC5's on my BMW as an evaluation :)

Oh if you have any questions get them to me asap as I have a guy from Carbone Lorraine over for a meeting this afternoon!

I just use the cheapest disc I can find. I don't expect them to last long as the coefficient of friction is so high on the pads (0.57 on the RC6 pads that I use).

If it's not too late ask him what is the best bedding in proceedure. I have just been doing fairly aggresive braking from varying speeds (low to high), but not stopping. This seems to have worked OK as I have never got them to fade or pick up on the disc to give any judder. The sparks at night are also nice for the speccies :)

Steve

Batfink
I just use the cheapest disc I can find. I don't expect them to last long as the coefficient of friction is so high on the pads (0.57 on the RC6 pads that I use).

If it's not too late ask him what is the best bedding in proceedure. I have just been doing fairly aggresive braking from varying speeds (low to high), but not stopping. This seems to have worked OK as I have never got them to fade or pick up on the disc to give any judder. The sparks at night are also nice for the speccies :)

Steve

ha ha when I mentioned the squealing he did say "has he got the RC6?"

He says soft disks will be chewed up - its down to the softness of the iron used. Pick either a plain disk or one with grooves (but not to the edge of the disk)

The CL catalogue says the bedding procedure for the RC6 should be

'Use the brakes normally but at speeds below racing speeds, and then build up speed gradually'

Duroc
I just use the cheapest disc I can find.I don't expect them to last long as the coefficient of friction is so high on the pads

I agree. I use standard 1.9 brakes with DS3000's, and they eat discs. But when they cost £24 a pair, it's not going to be a problem. There is plenty of brake dust, but the performance (as far as I'm concerned) far outweighs the cosmetic disadvantage.

Sign in to follow this