• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
flipperthebushkangaroo

After Some Engine Advice

flipperthebushkangaroo

as above, i am thinking about getting a 1.9 which is advertised as "head gasket gone".

What i am after knowing is

a. how can i tell how bad it is while viewing (without stripping it)?

b. how easy would it be to sort?

I know this is all very vague :lol: but any advice would be appreciated :)

Roddie

j_turnell

Do a compression test would be your best bet. Check the oil and water for any signs of mayo. Ask how long its been driven with the HG gone because if its gone badly then you can damage the bottom end due to the amount of water in the oil. See how quickly it gets hot whilst sitting at idle, keep an eye on the temperature guage! Obv if the oil is like mayo then its gone pretty badly and it would be a big gamble to do the head and find the bottom end then knocks.

If its ok, then its quite a straight forward job to do. Youll need new headbolts, head set, strip the head grind the valves and do the stem seals, new water pump and cambelt kit are adviseable along with normal service items like plugs and leads, also worth while getting a new downpipe kit, obv oil and filter. Also worth getting a light skim. Depends how good you are with a spanner. I can do one in around a day, depends how long the machine shop take, including head rebuild.

Edited by j_turnell

flipperthebushkangaroo

have asked the questions you suggested j waiting for the reply by the way what did you mean about grinding the valves :unsure: ?

excuse me for being a mechanical biff :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice

Roddie

bobob

I doubt it would be that hard/ expensive to get a second hand 1.9 8v engine to replace it if it is past it :rolleyes:

It's a good bargaining tool to get the car cheaper :unsure:

j_turnell
have asked the questions you suggested j waiting for the reply by the way what did you mean about grinding the valves :unsure: ?

excuse me for being a mechanical biff :rolleyes:

thanks for the advice

Roddie

Just meant lapping them in, just makes sure the valve has a good seal in the valve seat. But as mentioned even if it has gone badly then you can easily just pick up a complete engine if your not that mechanically minded. :)

Sign in to follow this