• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Steering - Car Objects To Turning Left

Masekwm

Yet another problem with the 205, when turning left the car feels like it doesn't want to, there is a vibration through the steering wheel, which then goes when you straighten up, it doesn't happen on straight roads, . it doesn't rear it's ugly head on right handers, just only when turning left

There is an occaisional clunk, so I suspect it could be the driveshaft?

Masekwm

Any ideas?

Tom Fenton

Possibly driveshaft, possibly the diff :D

I'd start with the driveshaft and then see what happens.

Masekwm

Would the Diff = Gearbox change?

I'll start with the driveshaft!

Masekwm

It's still doing it!

So far changed:-

Both Driveshafts,

Both Lower arms,

Passenger side drop link,

Swapped the tyres back to front to check it wasn't the tyres,

Both track rod ends.

From feel, the drivers side wheel is very close to the suspension strut whilst the passenger side isn't. That can't be right?

Help!

welshpug

I'd get it on an alignment jig to see if anything comes up.

might be a wheelbearing?

Masekwm

Is that a tracking check or more detailed?

GTI6BOY

wheel should be the same on both sides?

maybe a bent hub or bearing as said?

Edited by GTI6BOY

Masekwm

Can't see it being anything bent as the car hadn't hit anything when the rumble/vibration started, it happened exiting the last roundabout from home on an 80 mile trip.

I'll pop it to a tyre place tomorrow and get the wheelbearings and tracking checked.

brianthemagical

The clearnance issue you speak of could be the hub to strut interface. Mine is like that and strut will wobble veryslightly when loose, and then will default to lots of negative camber when driven. Mine turns fine though.

Could it be something to do with the scrub radius on the right? Making the steering very heavy.

Is ther any way you can get it in a carpark and drive in circles. See how the steering angles, understeer and effort compare left and right.

Masekwm

Grr, as it's back on the road I've finally had the tracking checked. It was way out but is now right and the car still rumbles!

Also now has new droplink on the drivers side.

Could it be the top mounts?

Masekwm

Oh dear, I've been searching so it could be the rack or the lower joint or the dreaded diff.

Where to start?

The steering is heavy.

I guess top mounts would be an mot item? They look old so perhaps it's worth spending £19.50 on BBM ones.

Maybe replace the lower joint with one from ECP.

jengis

19.50 for top mouts will be the rubbers only and won't include the bearing (which is the only part of the top mount that could cause those symptoms) I doubt this is your problem.

complete top mount kits cost about 30-40 quid each side.

Put it on axel stands and twirl the steering to check if the rack is stiff. It should be very light and smooth to turn.

whilst its up, spin the road wheels. They should spin without excessive resistance or roughness (brakes can bind a bit, thats normal) and try to establish if the bearings are at fault. Give the wheel a wiggle holding top and bottom of it too. There should be no loose-feeling movement.

Hopefully this will reveal the problem, otherwise could be the diff.

Kev

MerlinGTI

Pop off the tie rod ends both sides from the hubs. (1 bolt easy)

Jack up (the car!! not yourself trainspotting stylee :D) Turn each wheel by hand (as if it was the steering wheel turning them), they should move really easy each way untill they stop. If they (or one) doesnt its top mount(s)

with the tie rod ends still unbolted from the hubs lock to lock the steering wheel (make sure they wont hit anything when they move), if theres heavy resistance or spring back the rack is bent.

Doing it this way completely isolates the areas that could be at fault :D Ausming you havent been getting wheelbearing hum for the last 1000 miles, check the bearings while your there.

Also its worth bearing in mind a tracking check from a tyre place will only check/adjust front toe, not your camber etc.. you will require a 4 wheel alignment for that. You mentioned your wheel was closer to the strut one side, sounds like a possible bent hub/strut which may not be related to your current problem but certinally isnt good.

Masekwm

Which part is the bearings of the top mount? I can see the rubber "donut" but I've no idea which part is the bearing

205suspud4.jpg

Also its worth bearing in mind a tracking check from a tyre place will only check/adjust front toe, not your camber etc.. you will require a 4 wheel alignment for that.

I realised that after I took it to have the tracking done, ended up reading about Toe and Caster and how they effect steering.

jengis

Which part is the bearings of the top mount? I can see the rubber "donut" but I've no idea which part is the bearing

205suspud4.jpg

I realised that after I took it to have the tracking done, ended up reading about Toe and Caster and how they effect steering.

Working up from the bottom -

coil spring, spring platform, bearing lower part, bearing upper part, rubber donut, mounting plate, spacer, washer, top nut.

Without taking the strut off the car and dismantling it it won't be obvious which bit is the bearing.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty, try getting a mate to wind the steering fully from side to side (whilst the car is on the ground) and watch the spring movement carefully, checking that it pivots smoothly. Any jerkiness or snatching means the bearing is not running freely enough.

Masekwm
If you don't want to get your hands dirty, try getting a mate to wind the steering fully from side to side (whilst the car is on the ground) and watch the spring movement carefully, checking that it pivots smoothly. Any jerkiness or snatching means the bearing is not running freely enough.

I own a 205 GTi, when I signed the V5c, the next bit of paper said "you know you will need to get your hands dirty" :D

Working up from the bottom -

coil spring, spring platform, bearing lower part, bearing upper part, rubber donut, mounting plate, spacer, washer, top nut.

Without taking the strut off the car and dismantling it it won't be obvious which bit is the bearing.

Thank you :)

Masekwm

Well, went to the car tonight.

with the tie rod ends still unbolted from the hubs lock to lock the steering wheel (make sure they wont hit anything when they move), if theres heavy resistance or spring back the rack is bent.

I could spin the wheel with one finger :blink:

Turn each wheel by hand (as if it was the steering wheel turning them), they should move really easy each way untill they stop. If they (or one) doesnt its top mount(s)

The top mount on the drivers side was moving about as if it was a boat in the sea!

So a pair of top mounts and bearings are needed, hopefully! Looks like some scum as been trying to get into my garage so I best get them ordered!

Thanks for all the help :(

Furiousd
Well, went to the car tonight.

I could spin the wheel with one finger :blink:

The top mount on the drivers side was moving about as if it was a boat in the sea!

So a pair of top mounts and bearings are needed, hopefully! Looks like some scum as been trying to get into my garage so I best get them ordered!

Thanks for all the help :(

I have some top mount bearings and BBM group N rubbers which I need to sell. They were only on my car for approx 1-2K.

PM me if you're interested. The rubber donuts will raise the suspension by about 5-10mm tho' over std ones.

Edited by Furiousd

Masekwm

Thanks for the offer, but I'd already ordered the fast road top mounts.

Can't find any SKF bearings locally so I'm going to use GSF ones just to get the car roadworthy.

Stripped the struts today to find another bit of damage!

Drivers side

DSC00213.jpg

Passenger side

DSC00214.jpg

Are replacements dealer only? I can't find them on ECP or GSF?

Masekwm

I've now got two lovely bilstein struts fitted with Fast Road top mounts (didn't notice the discount with BBM *doh*), SKF bearings and replaced rebound stops waiting to go on the car.

Hopefully this is the end of the issue and the car can finally return to the road :)

Masekwm

All on, the car strangely looks like an offroader, but the noise appears to have gone, hooray!

Going to change the engine mounts over the next week and then retax her on the 1st :lol:

Sign in to follow this