• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Plugs Covered In Oil - Help!

Masekwm

Just doing a quick service on the 205 as it's running like a dog atm.

The plugs nearest the gearbox 3&4 are both covered in oil.

What on earth is causing that?

welshpug

most common cause is the rocker cover seal leaking, usually get overtightened.

or, valve stem oil seals.

MerlinGTI

how many miles the engine done? Sounds like worn piston rings.

Masekwm

Think it's around 110-120k, it's had a clock change and no history to show what miles it had done previously.

There is no smoke out of the back of the car, does that help?

iamjackiechan

hi

had exactly the same problem on my 1.6 gti, it turned out to be the piston rings.

but i found this out once the engine had died completly, so i would sort it out asap.

Masekwm

Crap!

Just looking at a photo of the plug I sent my friend, the oil wasn't on the electrode, if that is a clue?

I've made enquiries and I can get the rocket cover gasket fitted for £40 locally, so thats a plus.

But I'm worried it's somthing more major

GLPoomobile

You can fit a rocker cover gasket yourself! It's be less than half a spanner on the Haynes scale! I don't know how much they are but shouldn't be anywhere near £40 to source one from a motor factor.

Mikey S
You can fit a rocker cover gasket yourself! It's be less than half a spanner on the Haynes scale! I don't know how much they are but shouldn't be anywhere near £40 to source one from a motor factor.

there about 7 quid iirc.

Masekwm

£11.42 for one from Peugeot, I may have a go on the other engine I have then and see how easy it is.

GLPoomobile

I assume we are talking 8v, yes?

IIRC, you just need to undo 2 or 3 small nuts/bolts on the top (that hold the plug lead divider too), remove the cover, pull the rubber gasket off, and refit is the reversal of removal.

Masekwm

Yeah it's a 1.9 8v. You make it sound like I could get the gasket and do this in an evening.

I will prove you wrong, nothing ever is that straight forward when I try it!

Thanks

GLPoomobile

Wait until next Sunday. If you can't go out to the car and swap it during Star In A Reasonably Priced Car on TG, and still be back inside with enough time to take a piss before the show gets good again, then I'll eat my hat*

*I don't actually have a hat, so I'll ave to think of something else if you prove me wrong.

yeti-dj

Holy crap £40 for what is about 10 minutes work, wow!!!!!

10 minutes, a 10mm spanner and a few cleaning rags, job done...

Do not pay anyone £40 to do this unless they are female, utterly stunning and gonna be wearing very few clothes while they do it...

Masekwm

Well I decided to set the timer on the cooker, for 15 minutes, start on the old engine and strip off the gasket on that to see if I could do it.

Undid the 3 bolts, couldn't shift the cylindar head cover thing, went and got a neighbour, broke the seal, went in and looked at the time on the cooker, 11 minutes left :)

I think I'll give it a go myself, can't see why it would be this gasket, but I'll give it a go.

GLPoomobile

Well I think the theory that Welshpug is going on, is that if the gasket is leaking, it will let oil trickle down the side of the head and into the plug holes, thus leaving the body of the plug and probably the treads covered in oil too. I think if this is the case then you should see some oil residue on the head above the affected plugs.

If the oil is more around the electrode side, then it must be within the combustion chamber. But I wouldn't panic and think the worst about piston rings etc, without doing some basic tests first of all. Stem seals are more likely to fail before rings. Still a daunting job to fix for a novice, but no were near as bad as failed rings.

Masekwm

I've changed the gasket tonight, I've ordered a driveshaft so hopefully I'll be able to test the car at the weekend and see if the plugs get dirty again.

Thanks for your advice. Hopefully it's just this gasket, my last 205 went due to bigend failure :)

Masekwm

Ok, although the old shaft is still in the car, I've driven it about 4 miles, whipped the plug out tonight and there is a small bit of oil on the thread, so I've decided to gunk the engine and clean it incase it's old oil.

I'm borrowing a compression tester tomorrow so will test compression and report back.

Sign in to follow this