• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

What Have I Got Engine Wise Bx Or 405?

kyepan

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure its a bx engine because of the way the throttle cable points on the throttle body, this was different to the last one which i knew came out of a 405, also its a knock sensor fitted car on motronic, so that would be a 3 row.. correct?

So am I correct in thinking its a 1991 onwards BX engine, hopefully with a #4 inlet and a #2 exaust cam.

May take the covers off to check the cams.

welshpug

has it got a brake servo vacuum takeoff pipe attached or is the port blanked?

kyepan
has it got a brake servo vacuum takeoff pipe attached or is the port blanked?

sorry slightly confused, i would assume i've got a hose going to the brake servo from somewhere on the inlet tract. not sure if the vacume pipe attaches to the inlet manifold or the throttle body. will have a look after work and take a photo.

j

welshpug

sorry I should have explained, the BX runs the high pressure hydraulic brakes with no servo, if the stub/takeoff is blanked it would be a BX engine.

Don't know where the pipe would be though sorry.

Ryan

The servo pipe is on the inlet manifold, on the top of the plenum close the where the throttle body is. There are three outlets - one on the left for the fuel pressure regulator, one in the middle for the idle valve, and one on the right for the servo.

A 405 engine will have all three outlets uncovered. A BX engine will have a little blanking plug on the right hand one, as the outlet for the servo isn't used.

This is a BX engine with the planking plug still on:

post-5273-1214494235_thumb.jpg

kyepan
The servo pipe is on the inlet manifold, on the top of the plenum close the where the throttle body is. There are three outlets - one on the left for the fuel pressure regulator, one in the middle for the idle valve, and one on the right for the servo.

A 405 engine will have all three outlets uncovered. A BX engine will have a little blanking plug on the right hand one, as the outlet for the servo isn't used.

This is a BX engine with the planking plug still on:

post-5273-1214494235_thumb.jpg

ah right, but for us to run a servo assisted brake setup, we will be running the brake hose (shown in the photo) attached.

I keep on getting information regarding the position of the throttle cable mounting on the throttle body, and that seems to be another difference between the bx and 405

KRISKARRERA

A pre-91 405 will have that servo pipe blanking thingy too though. However, as it is there on that engine and you have a knock sensor it is therefore from a bx.

kyepan
A pre-91 405 will have that servo pipe blanking thingy too though.

where does the brake servo feed from if that's blanked off?

welshpug

High pressure hydraulic brake system, no servo.

but as you say there's a Knock sensor, as well as the blanked servo take-off, I'd be inclined to say BX like Kriss.

Edited by welshpug

maxi

Post a pic of the engine bay and I will tell you straight away :blink: .

Maxi

Sign in to follow this