• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RalliArt

1.6 16v Xu Is It Possible?

RalliArt

I have been thinking, what would happen if i put head from Mi16 on a GTI motor, with pistons, actually the whole mi16 engine, but keeping the crankshaft and the connecting rods from the 1.6 GTI engine.Tell me guys what do you think...... and if some one have done a project like this let me know....

Baz

Do search, been covered a few times before. :(

RalliArt

Hilgie Thank you very much, very helpful.....

B1ack_Mi16
Hilgie Thank you very much, very helpful.....

Although you might concider to use the XU10J4R or XU10J4RS heads as they have about 2cc less chamber volume.

Problem with XU 1.6 16v is that it might be hard to get enough cr.

Batfink

i dont think you can get enough compression without getting custom pistons.

welshpug

depends what you deem enough, but for competition I would agree that with the combination of standard parts it would be fairly low but still higher than the standard 1.6 8valve.

RalliArt

So, i have been reading a lot, since I'm thinking of this project, let me get it strait, i need some custom pistons, custom rods..... what happens if i use std mi pistons with std 1.6 rods, and std crank.....

There is a question I'm interested in, why is necessary to deck the block.....

welshpug

Mi pistons don't fit the 1.6 rods, the gudgeon pin is a different size. (20mm as opposed to 22mm)

people deck the block to raise the compression ratio rather than buy a set of custom high compression pistons.

James_R

You can put 405 SRi pistons on to 1.6 rods, but you'd need to add valve cut outs alternatively Xu7 engine's have a 22mm press fit pin which apparenlty Mi pistons can be fitted on to.

Sandy knows about the ins and out of this, worth contact him about it. obviously reasonable compression is achievable there's a few out there, just why unless its for competition, when it may be simpler to use a TU based 1600 16v engine?

welshpug

1600 TU's are heavier :D

Batfink

probably not by much when you add gearbox weight

welshpug

good point, but then if you want a gearbox capable of taking the power you'd be running BE4 anyway...

Batfink

touche!

I thnk for a road car the tu route is the best, there are possibly some advantages to running an xu 1.6 16v in competition but thats a completely separate arguement :D

RalliArt

@welshpug- ok i understand this, what if i drill the rod in bigger size and put a 22mm. bush, will this be good, and if i make it that way, will the Compression ratio be enough, so if it's enough it won't be necessary to deck the block....

so any other obstacles.... ?

and do you think it's good competition engine the xu16's....

James_R
1600 TU's are heavier :P

Correct, but the money saved could be put else where to make it quicker TU'd 1600 faster :ph34r:

Not to mention the port sizing would be miles better on a TU than the XU Mi heads. :angry:

Sandy

There isn't enough material in the 1.6 rod to oversize and bush it.

Sign in to follow this