• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
casanova2007

Compression Testing Today!

casanova2007

okay back to the original mi16 that im building, done a compression test today, its a bare engine sat on a stand with no inlet or exhaust manifold this is wot i got- no1 127 psi no2 125 psi no3 126 psi no4 127 psi. is this ok for a bare engine? also found out that the reason it probably wasnt starting is because plug no1 was the only 1 ive taken out that was slightly dirty the other 3 were still brand new and looked like they hadnt been used!!

dcc

im not an expert, but your readings are all very similar and close to each other, which would lead me to think that they are fine.

although i work with pressures upto 4500psi, 125~ psi is not an awful lot

casanova2007

ok. ive ben speaking to somone today and theyve said that really i need to have the manifolds on the engine to get more accurate results. but as they are relatively close and there is compression there i shouldnt be too worried. i also tested my 1.9 on carbs thats done 113,000 and that gave consistant results of around 160-165 psi just after being run and all built up.

casanova2007

*update* put the mi into my 205 today, running it on the injection with 1.9 8v loom,ecu, a/f meter, dizzy wiv adapter mi cold start. put it all together then did another compression test and the results were no different, borrowed my mates extended leads and gave it a try, it only fired straight up!! no nocks bangs rattling tappin, but it smokes!! doh, either way im gonna run it at santa pod at usc. so now im wondering if the rings are gone? and if so how long will it last like this?

taylorspug

Those pressures seem massively low to me, although it is across all 4 cylinders so maybe your compression tester is knackered? As an idea, my healthy standard MI (when i still had it), was around 210psi on all 4 cylinders.

Cameron

Could well be nackered rings if compression is low and it smokes. Try a squirt of oil down the plug hole then do another compression test, if it is significantly higher then that would suggest worn rings.

casanova2007

*update* my bits arrived today so i went about fitting them, got to the point where it came to start, started it up and its running lovely not smoking now, left it on idle for 10 mins and it still wasnt smoking. checked all my fuel clips an unions for leakage and all is good. took it out for a blast and was a bit disapointed really although it doesnt smoke at all it seems a bit flat untill you get to 4500 then it goes mad uptill 7000! as im running it on the 1.9 8v loom,ecu, coil, dizy,afm is this normal? after about an hour of it running i compression tested it again and now the readings are better about 190 psi on all 4. also ive tried bleeding it and got hot air through the heaters but its pressurising a little too much for my liking any ideas? cheers

welshpug

you will get a fair pressure in the cooling system if you've been driving it hard and warmed it up nicely.

Mi16's run far far better on their original management, and even better on aftermarket stuff, so that may well be the problem why it seems a bit flat low down, though its the massive amount of go at high RPM that makes them feel like this.

casanova2007

ok thanks. i dnt think the timings right and if i move the dizzy right round it increases the revs and sounds alot better but then i dnt know how to turn the idle down on the mi16 throttle body? and it idles at about 2200 rpm.

James_R

You wind the throttle stop in to adjust it with the 8v stuff, the Mi management has a Idel control valve so doens't have the idle screw the 8v's do.

Smoke at idle can be stem seals aswell, although probabaly just from being sat about it was a bti smokey to start off.

Enjoy.

190 is this on std cams?

casanova2007

another update lol. got bored of trying to get it to idle sensibly so i went to longmans and bought a jenvey manifold and fitted my weber 45's! sounds a hell of a lot throatier although i havent had the chance to drive it yet cos it started to rain!!!!! hopefully all will be good!!! i think it is on standard cams but like i said before wen u get to 4000 rpm it went like a rocket!! cheers for all the help!!!

davey sprocket
another update lol. got bored of trying to get it to idle sensibly so i went to longmans and bought a jenvey manifold and fitted my weber 45's! sounds a hell of a lot throatier although i havent had the chance to drive it yet cos it started to rain!!!!! hopefully all will be good!!! i think it is on standard cams but like i said before wen u get to 4000 rpm it went like a rocket!! cheers for all the help!!!

Hmmm...I'll keep an eye out for you around then!!! (I take it its a road car!?)

How did you get on with Longman's place??? He's over at Christchurch isn't he?? I think I might be heading over there very soon for a head rebuild.

casanova2007

yer well road/track. longmans is ok got quite a few things from him now and its all fitted. uve probably seen it about its silver with black wheels, totally stripped out with a full cage lol.

pee vee

try doing the compression test when the engine is warm, and you are supposed to have the throttle fully open too when cranking it :)

casanova2007

thanks for the input, thats how ive been doin it lol. took it out this afternoon and realised that i have oil leaking into the spark plug holes from the seals on the rocker cover and its covering the plugs and leads ive sealed them in with a high temp sealer hoping that it will stop the leak. also ive got a whine from what i think is the water pump when u first start it then after a few seconds goes away . the engine was built with a recon head in july 2007 with a new water pump and tensioner and belt but has been sat since december 2007 should i be worried?

Alastairh

From your first post, id say theres nothing wrong.

Yes they are low, but that more an issue with the calibration of compression testers which seems to be large issue with cheap testers these days. What your looking for is consistancy across the board, and sounds spot on.

Just get them carbs tuned and enjoy it :)

casanova2007

thanks, been messin around with it today(in and out of the rain weve had) realised that the reason it felt sluggish up till higher revs was the ignition amplifier plug was full of water from wen i filled the header tank and didnt connect it properly doh. it doesnt half go well now ive balaced the carbs an tuned them up, also treated it too some new plugs. another thing that concerns me is the oil pressure, wen cold it sits at 40psi on idle then goes up to 70 psi wen driving(after market gauge and sender) then wen warm sits at 20 psi on idle and goes up to 45-50 psi wen driving but the warning light doesnt come on( is still connected comes on with ignition light then goes out wen running) cheers for the help and support guys

taylorspug

Oil pressure sounds fine to me. The std warning light is set stupidly low, to something like 5 psi i believe.

Sign in to follow this