• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Heavy Steering

Gavin Waddell

Ive got my car back on the road for the summer sun shine and well the steering is really heavy,it has standard 1.9 wheel and hubs, 307 brakes, bilstein coilovers with tarmac inserts and 225 springs, with eccentirc top mounts these have just been set, i havent checked how much camber i have put on, i set them to some one recommendations. any way the steerin is really heavy and doesnt self centre, in a straight line there is a good 2cm side to side before the wheels turn. You relly have to tug on the wheel to turn. When it had the spax kit on ot it was fine it would self centre and was not heavy at all, even before i fitted the top mounts i thick is was that heavy. The rack and ends where changed in 2001.

thnks Gavin

welshpug

check the tyre pressures firstly.

Then check the joints on the steering column, quite common for the one in the engine bay to seize up, theres also one on the end of the upper column where it attaches to the lower section under the dash.

7 years is a fair age for a track rod end so I wouldn't discount these.

Gavin Waddell

i put a bit of wd40 on the knuckle joint ant it seems to have loosed it up a bit, i will get all thr tracking and stuff set up so that it can really see hoe it is.

Sign in to follow this