• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Dual Radiator Setup.

madspikes

After 300 miles of superchargered goodness the pug is back in bits for some tweeking! I'm currently looking at fitting a larger pre-rad for the charge cooler as the current one just can't keep up. I'm current running a small rad from a 125cc...

dscf2387.jpg

It makes for a nice tidy install, but just doesnt cut the musturd! I need to install a larger pre-rad to replace it. Looking through my vast array of random car bits I have turned up a rad from a honda civc. Its a liitle big for an easy install but I'm sure I can make it fit with a little work, and big is good, bigger is better! The issue is that it needs to rotated through 90degrees to fit, can I do this? Can I use a radiator in a different orientation to the it was desgined?

au-rad-civc0002-b.jpg

Not the acutal rad but a picture of one... This is how it should be mounted... Its a standard Civc rad not alley one!

If not, anyone got any ideas on what other rads I could use, keeping the OE rad in the same place but losing the colwing, I cant move further into the engine bay. The fan has to stay on the cold side as there isnt any room in the engine bay even for a slimline fan.

Also the bar that goes across the bottom of where the rad mounts, how strong does this need to be as I may need to modify it. The plan is to remove the lip that protrudes forward to give some more room between the body and the valance. I suppose if I remove the lip, and replace it with some angle on the other side it would be fine.

Thanks for any suggestions and reading my sunday morning ramblings!

Mad. :D

Ryan

The rad will be fine on it's side.

And I'm pretty sure the the bar under the rad is just to support the rad. I'd imagine it would be a lot bigger/thicker if it was in any way structural.

TIM

Hi, early subaru legacy single turbo's(89-94) had a charge cooling system they recon is good to 300bhp. Nice slim rad and easy to mount.

madspikes

I saw that on the main site... They used another GTi rad and mounted it engine side of the existing rad, I dont have space for that. I have been thinking about using another pug rad and mounting on the other side and making all new new rad and fan mounts.

I have the actual charger-cooler bit covered, its just the rad that causing a few issues.

Thanks for the replys.

Mad. :o

Ryan

What about larger bike rads? Something from a 600cc+ maybe?

...mount it sideways so that the pipe go over and under the standard rad.

madspikes

Humm sideways, now theres an idea!

Current plan, well its quick and simple plan! Going to mount the current rad side ways. It will open more of it up to the direct airflow, so might improve things. I've also washed the rad out with civic bang! Bang and the lime scale in side was gone :lol: Might help things also.

I'll keep the bigger bike rad in mind, got my eye on a couple on ebay! <_<

The current setup was only dropping 20deg max mostly 10degs!! I've also got to move the air filter, as its sucking in warm air from the back of the main rad, was isnt a good thing.

Mad. :)

Crazy-legs!

most modern motocross bikes run two small rads either side of the downtube. You may be able to mount these side-by-side and use these instead? They would be smaller than a sports bike rad, but more efficient than a single 125 item.

Marc

Sign in to follow this