• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamiej

Swerving To Right On Accel And To The Left On Decel ...

jamiej

Good afternoon,

i know that there are numerous posts on this but ... i just want to know if these 2 symptoms would be related.

This swerving (as per subject) and a creaky knocking noise coming from the back over speed bumps etc ...

i only picked this up a couple of hours ago ... B)

Many thanks

Jamie

kyepan

possibly, but it's more likely your front wishbone bushes or bottom ball joints are knackered, the creaking knocking from the back would probably need investigating separatly.

jamiej

thankyou budd, i'll be having a look soon, pop her up on the ramps.

Jamie

jamiej

Theres an advisory from the MOT

nearside front suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush

Could that be the cause ??

Thanks

Jamie

Also, where do all you guys get your parts from GSF, ECP, eBay, Peugeot ...

jackherer
Theres an advisory from the MOT

Could that be the cause ??

That will definitely cause the fault you describe. If its the inner bushes you can get a genuine kit from Peugeot for not much. If its the ball joint then you need a new wishbone as they can't be changed separately.

jamiej

oh ok perfect, thats a load off my mind, i'll get it up on the ramps and have a look.

So i guess, its better if the inner bushes need changing, may as well et poly bushes ??

pug_ham
So i guess, its better if the inner bushes need changing, may as well et poly bushes ??

Not really, the original Peugeot bushes are plenty stiff enough & outlast a set of polybushes (some are softer than oe bushes) quite easily.

Get the proper kit from Peugeot (3599.07) for about £20 to do both wishbones & with new nuts & bolts.

Unfortunately it sounds from the MOT advisory more like its the balljoint which is worn & not the bushes though. :D

Graham.

jamiej

well i guess its not the end of the world,

new wishbone £50 ?? or am i being very unrealistic ?

lets hope its the bushes though

jackherer
Unfortunately it sounds from the MOT advisory more like its the balljoint which is worn & not the bushes though. :D

I think the computerised MOT means they can only choose that one option for either the bush or balljoint so it could be either. I would ask the tester to clarify it, or have a go with a prybar to find out myself.

jackherer
well i guess its not the end of the world,

new wishbone £50 ?? or am i being very unrealistic ?

lets hope its the bushes though

You can get pattern wishbones for a bit less than £50, but the bushes are usually worse than useless so you still need the Peugeot bush kit. The pattern balljoints seem to be fine though.

jamiej

Lets say that i do need new wishbones, is it worth getting 405 wishbones for the extra inch of track ?

sonofsam
Lets say that i do need new wishbones, is it worth getting 405 wishbones for the extra inch of track ?

That'll be 309GTI wishbones my freind, and you would have to buy 309GTI drive-shafts to go with them too.

marksorrento205

I had the same fault, changed both lower arms and had the tracking done and it solved it. Car felt much better too.

Rich_p

Will bottom arms from my Local motorquip be ok to use?

They are about £80 the par for my 309 and I think they could do with replacing as the front end is a bit wandery at the moment.

kyepan

Even if you get the buy parts buy ones, get some decent OE bushes pressed in at the same time, the pattern ones fail quicker than a chocolate suspension bridge in the sahara. and the last thing you want to be doing is torquing up those darn rear wishbone bolts when you could be hacking about with a grin on your face.

M@tt

change the bushes first rather than the whole wishbones. £18 for everything to do both sides.

As mentioned above it's normally the bushes that go rather than the balljoint and thats gives the wandery feeling and they can be replaced seperatly. I'd certainly be checking those first before forking out £80 <_<

Rich_p

My issue is I only have my residents car park to work in and swapping them will be quicker, I can't really leave the car up on axle stands for days while I find the time to get the bushes pressed in.

Annoying but I have to live with it.

It's in for an mot tomorrow so I'll have a good nose about under it anyway while it's up in the air. Fingers crossed it is just the bushes rather than the ball joint or a ovaled hub.

I know the guy in the garage and I know they have a press so worse comes to worse I'll see if I can use a ramp after work one day.

Anyways sorry for thread hijacking!

kyepan

hang on, confused about who i was talking to, If you have access to a press, then excellent, if not....

Burn (butane torch for 2 mins), cut (outer sleeve with hacksaw) and bang the old ones out with a punch and hammer(get on the lip and fold it in, do the same from the other side, then bang out from the opposite end. You'll only need a vice to hold it in.

Powerflex ones go in by hand with some moly grease (in the sache they supply) however i'm not sure if you can get pug oem ones in as easily, that may require a press or some persuasion.

Rich_p
hang on, confused about who i was talking to, If you have access to a press, then excellent, if not....

Burn (butane torch for 2 mins), cut (outer sleeve with hacksaw) and bang the old ones out with a punch and hammer(get on the lip and fold it in, do the same from the other side, then bang out from the opposite end. You'll only need a vice to hold it in.

Powerflex ones go in by hand with some moly grease (in the sache they supply) however i'm not sure if you can get pug oem ones in as easily, that may require a press or some persuasion.

Sorry, I may have been a bit confusing. I do have access to a press but I would need to remove the arms one weekend and take them to the garage after work one day in the week.

This would mean leaving the car on stands in my carpark which I'm not overly happy about doing. If I got new arms I could just do a straight swap.

Rob_the_Sparky

Non-OE bushes are certainly risky as plenty have failed very early but not all do. Nothing lost (apart froma few quid) by fitting new wishbones and seeing how long the bushes last. If they die, then put in decent bushes and you have an all new set-up...

djinuk

im currenttly having the exact same problem with my pug at the moment, i picked up a pair of wishbones off ebay for £32 fitted with poly bushes, im hoping these are ok, but after reading this im thinking about just buying a wishbone bush kit and getting them pressed in for what its worth.

Sign in to follow this