• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Changing Rear Anti Roll Bar?

johnnyboy666

just a quick question before i start, how easy is it to put the ARB back on after removal? thing is im swapping the one on my xs for a gti one, but i dont want the car off the road for too long incase i get called into work. ive got the gti one out already and it was pretty easy, but ive never put one back on/in is it just a reverse of removal and is it hard to get the end plate bit back on the splines?

thanks in advance, just thought i'd check before i give it a go

john

daza4

Chock rear end and jack up, Remove road wheels and then remove the plastic Torx screw thread dust cover on the end of the antirollbar plate, then undo the bolts holding the brake pipe hangers from both sides and using a suitable bolt (ford wheel bolt) thread it in the hole where the plastic torx thingy came from and do it up which will the remove one end cover from the antiroll bar and then push out the antiroll bar.

Swop it over and do the reverse to put it all back together again.

Shouldnt take much longer than 1/2 hour.

daza4

rearbeamrefurb01.jpg

This part here to remove torx dust cover.

Also if you look at the main site there is an article on lowering the rear beam and a refurb guide. There are pictures of all this and it is quite useful for what you want to do.

Edited by daza4

welshpug

pretty easy, fit the ARB back in, loosely fit the 13mm bolt (M8) into the end plate that wasn't removed bolt to stop it from turning (on the passenger/left side)

place removed end plate onto splines lining up the 13mm bolt on that side (the drivers/right side)

Fit a long M8 bolt through the end plate into the ARB, with a nut and washer on the thread.

wind the nut down the thread to draw the end plate onto the ARB until there is 1mm clearance between the arm and the plate on that side (i.e 0.5mm each side)

like this -

drawingARBendplateintoplace.jpg

Edited by welshpug

johnnyboy666

spot on lads thanks very much, just as i thought really, good to know im not gonna miss anything out!!

johnnyboy666

aaah!!!!!!!!!! after spending ages under the car, trying to get those bloody little rubber plug barstewards out, i finnally get the arb out....... put it next to the 'gti' one i was about to put in, and................. theyre exactly the bloody same!!!! somebodies ripped me of with that beam!!! unfortunately i cant remember who i got it off as it was ages ago :) so now i have to put everything back together the same as it was before!! im half debating going down the scrappy as i know theres a cti down there, which i beleive has a gti beam.

rant over :lol:

kyepan

it's only a couple of mm difference, might be worth measuring them with calipers or some other accurate measuring device...

alternativly the circumference should be different.

johnnyboy666

checked with calipers, both 15.8mm i think it was, anyway ive put it back in now. on the upside it should be pretty free and easy to remove next time!!

Henry Yorke
aim half debating going down the scrappy as i know theres a cti down there, which i beleive has a gti beam.

rant over :ph34r:

CTI's have an XS spec rear anti-roll bar so you would be wasting your ime!

Edited by Henry Yorke

Sign in to follow this