• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ANDYMISIXTEEN

Mi16 Cams Identification / Rr Set Up

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Ive put an Mi16 engine into my Cti. I have had the engine a few years in a project car tht never got finished. The engine was ment to of been rebuilt with cams/Piper pulleys and head work. I have some photos of the engine in bits. I am in the process of getting it set up at a Rolling road, i rang one 2day and they said i need to find out if the cams have been dialed in, I dont think im going to be able to get in contact with the previous owner/engine builder. What can i do to find out?

The cams are set to -10' atm, the engine runs but not very well, its due to the carbs needing setting up to i should think. (One is over fueling bad) If i rev the engine at all it holds the revs and comes down very slowely (think its called racing?)

Can anyone give me any helpful info?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Also can i take the rocker cover off easily to check for markings on the cams to find out what they are?

Do i need to take the vacuum part off the dizzy or block the end off?

James_R

If you look on the ends of the cams they usually have a BPxxxx stamped in the end, you can look on the pipercams website as to the specs for the cam and this will tell you the recommended timing for them.

Setting the cam timing up on the pulley marks isn' of much use though as they could be a few degree's out relative to the crank depending how the cabelt tensioners were set up.

Good luck.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Do i need to take the dizzy off or the rocker cover off to see the end of the cams? Am i likely to have trouble with the cams at the rolling road?

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Which end should the markings be? The dizzy end?

petert

They look like reground standard cams to me. Markings could be either end. I'd start by setting both inlet and exhaust to 0.060" lift @ TDC then dyno adjustments from there.

Edited by petert

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Wasnt on the dizzy end. Do cams get reground for performance?

Miles

Agree with Peter, Look like regrind's due to the markings, Not worth allot really.

Reground cam's never get any marking's on them, But you'll find the info on Piper's web site, even if they where kent the grind is pretty much the same.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

I dont want to change the cams just wanted to know what i have, ive got piper veniers but tht doesnt mean alot. Should they be better than standard cams? The rolling road guy was making a fuss that i need to check there dialed in etc but surely he can sort them out??

I found this info on Pipers site mi16pipercamsguide.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/A...ercamsguide.jpg

Peter u said about setting both inlet and exhaust to 0.060" lift @ TDC, do i set the Veniers to 0' ? there retarded -10' atm.

S7002977.jpg

Should i put the rocker and dizzy back on and leave it for the rolling road?

Just cant wait to get it on the road been waiting ages.

Edited by ANDYMISIXTEEN

petert

Sorry, but the markings on the vernier pulleys are irrelevant. You need a dial indicator gauge to check the valve lift at TDC. Once you have verified that figure you can use the markings as a reference to advance/retard the timing. I suggested 0.060" as that is a sensible figure for an advanced standard cam or an entry level reground cam.

ANDYMISIXTEEN

I havnt been able to get anyone expereinced to help me check there dialed in. Would the engine builder more than likely of dialed them in when he fitted them/built the engine? Ive got the Rolling road booked for Thursday and the RR man said i need to get them check before i come and he wont do it. Is it straight forward if i buy a dial gauge and try myself? If not im going to try an engine refurb place and see if they can send someone out to check. If not i dont know what im going to do, havnt got a car at the mow and its getting frustrating :D

ANDYMISIXTEEN

Been ringing people all day to try to find someone who will dial the cams in. Engine refurb place garages etc and the only place was Northampton motorsport but heard some bad stuff about them. They also wanted to know what cams i have, but i still dont no. They recon it will need to be on the rollers for around 6 hours @ £75+vat. Can anyone give me any postive advice?

Sign in to follow this