• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adamc

Oil Temperature

adamc

Does anyone know what temperature the engine oil should be at once the car is up to running temperature?

Thanks

Baz

hot, but below 100dC. :)

adamc
hot, but below 100dC. :(

ok thanks for that, its just mine oil temperature gauge is rubbish. Is the sensor for this located on the bottom of the sump?

mattmk1
ok thanks for that, its just mine oil temperature gauge is rubbish. Is the sensor for this located on the bottom of the sump?

Yep, thats the one. Although if your running an oil cooler the gauges rarely register oil temperature to be honest. In my mi if you give it a good thrashing then it will rise to just below the second mark, but thats not running a cooler. Will take 30 mins or so of driving for the guage to start reading.

Edited by mattmk1

dynacord

Same here. 20 to 30 mins to start working properly (the gauge)

adamc
Same here. 20 to 30 mins to start working properly (the gauge)

ok, that sounds about right with my car as well. Needs a good 15 min run before it registers! Funny you mention oil coolers as i have some spare money lying around and want to treat my pug to something. An oil cooler was one of my ideas but i don't want to overcool the oil.

Slippy

Ineresting reading, I was origianlly searching to find out where the oil temp sensor is as we thought ours was cream crackered yet you reckon it takes a good 15-20 mins beofre it registers anything ???

We are back down the work shop tongiht so will have a look on the back of the sump to make sure there is a connection

Edited by Slippy

jj205
ok, that sounds about right with my car as well. Needs a good 15 min run before it registers! Funny you mention oil coolers as i have some spare money lying around and want to treat my pug to something. An oil cooler was one of my ideas but i don't want to overcool the oil.

The standard oil coolers have thermostats as i understand, so allowing you oil to get to operating temp asap, without getting to hot.

The aftermarket kits look better value and better performance than the OE ones.

My GTI Usually go on the two bar mark, which i persume is operating temp, after halfhour or so. No idea what the marks represent, i read somewere a while ago the units used but forgot.

Jonathan

Tom Fenton

The standard sandwich plate does not have a thermostat, or at least the one I've looked at hasn't.

Cloverleaf

The standard cooler doesn't have a thermostat but is a heat exchanger so the water heats up the oil when cold and then the water cools the oil when hot. It's not a bad setup really.

There's a few theories on oil temp but my opinion is that anywhere from 80 to 100 degC is good normal operating temp. Modern synthetic oils are good to approx 140 degC but the harder you work your oil the more frequently you'll need to change it. Over cooling your oil is bad so if you're going to get a big aftermarket cooler get a thermostat.

Henry 1.9GTi

as cool as you can get but enough to evapourate moisture and lower the viscosity so as not to drain away your power. 80-100 on road, mine gets up to 120 on track. I wouldn't have thought a cooler needed for road use. My old 8v couldn't get the oil above 60-70 with one when driving on the road.

adam do you go to brookes? Seen a car like yours on campus a few times.

Henry.

Anthony
The standard cooler doesn't have a thermostat but is a heat exchanger so the water heats up the oil when cold and then the water cools the oil when hot. It's not a bad setup really.

That's only true of 205 1.9 GTi's with PAS, as these models came with a remote oil-water heat exchanger - all non-PAS 1.9 GTi's came with a conventional air-oil cooler, fitted where the 2nd radiator cooling fan would go on models so equipped.

Away from 205's, 309 GTi's, 405 Mi16's, 306 S16 and GTi-6, and a few others came with a block mounted oil-water heat exchanger.

Cloverleaf
That's only true of 205 1.9 GTi's with PAS, as these models came with a remote oil-water heat exchanger - all non-PAS 1.9 GTi's came with a conventional air-oil cooler, fitted where the 2nd radiator cooling fan would go on models so equipped.

Away from 205's, 309 GTi's, 405 Mi16's, 306 S16 and GTi-6, and a few others came with a block mounted oil-water heat exchanger.

Oh I see, everyday is a school day! Why do Peugeot make so many subtle differences?! :)

Spiky

mine runs about 70 on normal driving, and as above takes a little while to get up to temp

and on a january track day temp got up tp 80

skinner2k3

Last time out at Combe I lost oil pressure which I assumed was due to the oil getting hot and thin, would that be correct?

The engine was fine once it had cooled down. Pressure came back to normal.

Garry

Yes, it would be a factor, along with some oil surge maybe?

Sign in to follow this