• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

Poor Brakes On 1.6, Whats The Best Option?

Fox

I've swapped the engine from a 1.6 to the 1.9 in my car, but I've not as yet sorted the brakes. I've searched on here and people seem to find the 1.6 brakes up to the job of stopping the 1.9. Although, mine seem quite poor.

Now, is it better to save up and wait for some of the better 1900 callipers, or should I just buy some sporty disks and pads, and change the fluid? What does everyone else do?

I'd imagine both options will cost about the same, but what's the best for a road car?

Baz

1.9 calipers bolt straight on using the shorter 1.9 bolts. Good fluid and pads and they'll be fine. :)

marc t

1.6 calipers normally stop the car fine providing the sliders aren't siezed etc. The main advantage (IMO anyway) with 1.9 calipers is they are easier to change the pads and when reversing you don't get the knocking when you press the brake.

If your going to uprate the pads you could always go to 1.9 calipers first. To do the swap you need the calipers and bolts (as mentioned above) with 1.9 pads, then if you are keeping the 1.6 hubs you use the 1.6 discs. All the flexy hoses etc just unscrew from the 1.6 calipers and go straight into the 1.9 ones.

You don't mention what seems poor about yours, if its soft pedal or long pedal travel, check the flexy hoses are in good condition and make sure the rear drum brakes are adjusted up properly (This makes loads of difference to the pedal travel) Also just a good bleed of the brakes is a good idea. I think it is recommended to do every 2 years.

Tom Fenton

The 1600 brakes in good order really stop the car well, on a par with the 1900 ones IMO. The brakes on my 1600 were overhauled last year, new solid brake pipes throughout, braided flexible lines, calipers sliders cleaned and lubricated, new fluid, and all linings fitted with decent quality OE spec pads. It stops really well.

welshpug

A friend of mine runs a 1600 Rally car, on std 1600 Discs, recently replaced 1600 calipers and EBC yellowstuff pads, more than adequate to stop a rally car and never gives problems.

Fox

Cheers for the replies guys, the pedal is spot on, it holds good pressure and there are no funny noises etc.

When braking hard, they seem a touch vague, its a strange thing to describe, but there doesn't seem to be much control, all on and lock up the wheels, or a gradual slow down is all I seem to get!

I know the fluid hasn't been changed for over two years, and the disks and pads are new-ish, but the cars been sat for two years!

I don't know if its just the fact I'm now going a lot faster than in my previous car! I'll have a look at the rear brakes tonight and see if they require any adjustment.

Rich_p
Cheers for the replies guys, the pedal is spot on, it holds good pressure and there are no funny noises etc.

When braking hard, they seem a touch vague, its a strange thing to describe, but there doesn't seem to be much control, all on and lock up the wheels, or a gradual slow down is all I seem to get!

I know the fluid hasn't been changed for over two years, and the disks and pads are new-ish, but the cars been sat for two years!

I don't know if its just the fact I'm now going a lot faster than in my previous car! I'll have a look at the rear brakes tonight and see if they require any adjustment.

Without a doubt replace the fluid, it can make a real difference.

I have just replaced my rear shoes and cleaned everything up - what is the correct way to adjust them though? ie. how far should you turn the adjusters/how close to the drums should the new shoes be? Haynes isn't very specific on this.

Baz

Set them so they're tight but not too tight when you slide the drum back over them, only make sure the drums aren't lipped etc inside. Obviously you don't want them to bind, but you want them to be very close.

ccgoose

i upgraded my callipers to 1.9's at the weekend thanks to kate and doug's help, new brake fluid as well and now runs better :)

James_R

The rears have auto adjusters need to check they're free then after about a million pumps of the pedal they'll be right, or you can speed it up by using a screw driver to adjust them forward through the wheel bolt hole, just make sure you don't over tighten them and the clip is back in place so they auto adjust again.

Works a treat, then on removal you manually wind them back so the drum comes off regardless of lip (although a bit of a fight always happens :s)

VisaGTi16v

Strange, I wasnt aware of any case where a PSA drum self adjuster had actually worked by itself :)

Presuming they are infact going to work, a friend of mine said that you might need to have the handbrake on then pump the brake pedal, any truth to that? I know the last time I used the car was at a Brands track day, entire rear drums were about 200 miles old and yet my pedal was on the floor by the end of the night (when I did my quickest lap!) as they werent self adjusting. Bodged it by taking up handbrake cables to get it home ok but the pedal doesnt feel as good presumably because it doesnt pull in both shoes doing it that way, he said maybe I need to back them back off then do handbrake on and pump pedal thing?

If the above is total nonsense I will be taking them apart to slap them before its back on the road! :D

kyepan

Stick with the 1.6 and use ferrodo ds2500 material, the 1.6 calipers are far far lighter than anything else without going for billet alloy calipers, change the fluid completly and check the yokes are free, dust seals in good condition and lubed. The drums will probably need a clean and then make sure the auto adjusters are taking up correctly.

marc t

The adjusters should work in the rear drums but are known to be pretty useless in most cases. The screwdriver through the wheel nut hole is the quickest way to adjust them without stripping.

hodgy

ive got saxo VTS/106 GTI brakes on mine.they are alot better than my 1.6 ones but i do have 1.9 hubs tho

Fox
ive got saxo VTS/106 GTI brakes on mine.they are alot better than my 1.6 ones but i do have 1.9 hubs tho

I've got a pair of these in the garage, I wonder what disk I'd have to use?

hodgy

if you have 1.6 hubs you will have to use 1.6 discs still but if you change to 1.9 hubs you can use saxo everything

pug_ham
if you have 1.6 hubs you will have to use 1.6 discs still but if you change to 1.9 hubs you can use saxo everything

Which is just the same as using 1.9 everything. Same size & offset (same discs) etc.

Graham.

Fox

Fantastic! I'll have to dig them out and have a look!

Sign in to follow this