• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

Anyone Ever Used A 205 Td Radiator As An Upgrade?

maxi

My radiator is old and started weeping last night. As im now running the hybrid GTi6 lump it wouldnt be a bad idea to upgrade the colling system. Ive heard the TD radiator is an upgrade?? Anyone ever used one or found advantages in using one? Tried the search, as per usual it was next to useless.

Cheers

Maxi

Bakes100

I have never used one myself but they are supposed to be alot thicker than the standard one so i assume that will aid cooling.

If you look on the nissens website you can log into there catalogue and it gives you the part numbers and the dimensions of thier radiators if you need them Only takes a couple of mins to sign up.

Hope this helps abit

jonnie205

yes td one is twice as think so can only be better, will up the capacity of cooling system too which is a bonus, with the gti6 engine the extra cooling would be ideal

Emmy Seize

Interesting!

Aren't both types the same anyway?

At least all the aftermarket catalogues say so and the last two radiators I fitted were labeled "Diesel/GTI".

Having a new radiator makes a big difference indeed.

My road car lost around 10 degrees on flat-out Autobahn-use with the new rad.

Super Josh
Interesting!

Aren't both types the same anyway?

At least all the aftermarket catalogues say so and the last two radiators I fitted were labeled "Diesel/GTI".

The diesel/GTi one is the same, it's the TD one that is twice as thick.

Adam I assume that you will be running 'Bodies on this engine? Is it worth fitting one of the custom shorter rads from the group buy to give a cold air feed to the 'Bodies? Or are you planning on ducting the air feed in some way?

Josh

Bakes100

I think you will find the diesel one is the same as the gti whereas the turbo diesel is the larger one.

Maxi will you have the clearance for the bigger TD rad? assuming you have an oil cooler sandwich plate fitted?

With the standard rad on the 6 engine mine sits very close to the filter.

EDIT: Josh beat me to it :)

Edited by Bakes100

steve@cornwall

I have an ally TD rad. in my CTi (near new one at the scrappy :) ) Bottom hose is diferent, and as the old rad was totally shagged, it's hard to say if it keeps it cooler than before, except it doesn't seem to trigger the fan when idling for 30 mins or so like all my other GTis have always done

Garry

I had planned on using a TD rad on my supercharger conversion but it was a little too high to allow the boost pipes over the top and to allow the bonnet to close!

130408025.jpg

130408024.jpg

This is the Radtec one that Daz C has on his group buy.

190408010.jpg

Incidently my one will be for sale soon as it is surplus to requirements :)

Super Josh

Garry, how do you find the cooling with the radtec one, I wonder if it has the same amount of cooling capacity as the TD one?

Josh

Garry

Fine so far, sits a little cooler when on the motorway than the standard one. I haven't had chance to use it in anger yet though.

maxi
The diesel/GTi one is the same, it's the TD one that is twice as thick.

Adam I assume that you will be running 'Bodies on this engine? Is it worth fitting one of the custom shorter rads from the group buy to give a cold air feed to the 'Bodies? Or are you planning on ducting the air feed in some way?

Josh

The car is on the road at the moment and im currently running it in. Its luckily it started to weep 2 secs from my house yesterday, had pulled up to chat to some mates and noticed a drip underneath.... The engine obviously runs bodies so I fabricated some mounts for the standard rad to sit a LOT lower. I will make up some ducting at some point for both the bodies and my Mocal. Looking at the pics, the TD rad is the way to go! Anyone know of a cheap supplier???

Maxi

Henry Yorke
Anyone know of a cheap supplier???
Incidently my one will be for sale soon as it is surplus to requirements

Possibly! :)

gti-si

I think Garry's the man? The TD radiator he was going to use is going spare from what he said I think

Alastairh

Looking on GSF web site, they are 100 Quid!

Edited by Alastairh

maxi

Sourced and fitted one and to be honest I dont notice any difference at all. Car warms up quick, gets to 92 degrees (laptop not gagues) fan cuts in, temp drops to 87degrees, fan goes off. Didnt take any longer for the fans to come on, stayed on the same amount of time and the temp sits no lower when driving. Not worth the extra money and nightmare fitting in my application.

Maxi

jonnie205

but with more water in the system and more surface area of cooling you would think it had to make a difference. I know the alloy radtec ones make a difference

Alastairh

Yeah. What about on a run?

Similar principle to having twin layered radiator in your house over a single one.

Hows the car getting on anyway? Must be close to getting it mapped :)

maxi
Yeah. What about on a run?

Similar principle to having twin layered radiator in your house over a single one.

Hows the car getting on anyway? Must be close to getting it mapped :P

I always run engines in by driving "normally". Not loading them up or thrashing them but to just treat them with mechanical sympathy and not rev them hard. This engine feels MONSTEROUS just pootling around. Covered 150miles, I will get to 500miles, change the oil for Millers CFS, change the filter and then have it mapped.

I have run the car up the local dual carrigeway varying my speed from 40-60mph and it sits no cooler than with a std rad. It might just be because im running in (on average run higher temps) and the car is such high comp that the larger radiator might fail to show an improvement. I might also add, I dropped my rad right down on mounts I fabricated, when going to the TD item it was a NIGHTMARE to fit. Had to move the alternator (shorter belt and adjuster) and chop a large section of the sump off.

Maxi

B1ack_Mi16

I really can't see how a bigger than standard radiator should be necessary though..

I the standard item is in good working order it should be fine, and it really doesn't matter how fast the temperature rises, as long as the radiator and fan(s) can keep the temp stable at around 90-95 degrees C.

My 2.3 litre was fine running for loooong periods with lots of revs 6500-8000rpm and maximum load in the rolling road and no problems with hot water, thats with standard nissens aluminium radiator.

And the engine is definately pushing out at least 250bhp.

eddie bullit

does it make any difference using just water as opposed to a coolant of some description ( summer coolant / anti freeze)?

I've got good old corporation pop running through my pugs veins :P I only use the pug in good weather will never see frost or snow and I've been told anti freeze has a habit of searching and finding its way out, if left stood for a while. Is there anything on the market that lowers running temp?

maxi
does it make any difference using just water as opposed to a coolant of some description ( summer coolant / anti freeze)?

I've got good old corporation pop running through my pugs veins :P I only use the pug in good weather will never see frost or snow and I've been told anti freeze has a habit of searching and finding its way out, if left stood for a while. Is there anything on the market that lowers running temp?

The name of ANTI FREEZE is very misleading. It plays 3 roles within the cooling system.

1. Stop the coolant freezing up under cold conditions.

2. Keep the engine/coolant cooler in summer/hot conditions.

3. Prevent internal corrosion. This is the most important and overlooked aspect, ever had an mi16 head thats needed welding up, thats usually due to the fact that its never been treated to anti freeze.

Anti freeze is a necessity!

Maxi

welshpug

possibly worth noting but the TD setup also makes use of twin fans, maybe a single fan isn't as efficient as it could be due to the increased core depth.

pug_ham
possibly worth noting but the TD setup also makes use of twin fans, maybe a single fan isn't as efficient as it could be due to the increased core depth.

The twin fans are only in use when the temp has reached enough to trigger the switch.

It just means they cool it down quicker. They use the same fan as fitted to the GTi & diesel.

They have nothing to do with the normal car running temp but I'm surprised that a radiator which is twice as thick as the original one with extra capacity doesn't make any difference to the temp.

A single fan will simply take longer to cool it enough so it switch's off so obviouisly its not as effiecent because one fan can't push as much air through the rad as two can.

Graham.

Jrod

I'd of thought the temperature would be controlled by the thermostat though?

If the rads cooling the water really efficiently it will cool the thermostat which will slow down flow thus keeping the temperature where it always was?

Or am I just being daft. :(

maxi
The twin fans are only in use when the temp has reached enough to trigger the switch.

It just means they cool it down quicker. They use the same fan as fitted to the GTi & diesel.

They have nothing to do with the normal car running temp but I'm surprised that a radiator which is twice as thick as the original one with extra capacity doesn't make any difference to the temp.

A single fan will simply take longer to cool it enough so it switch's off so obviouisly its not as effiecent because one fan can't push as much air through the rad as two can.

Graham.

Couldnt have said it better myself...... :(

Additionally, I run twin fans, always have done.

Maxi

Sign in to follow this