• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kartman

205 Convertible Rear Seat Belts

kartman

Hi All

We have a 205 CJ which the missus is keen on but doesn't like the lap belts for the kids in the back. So I am looking at weather there is someway of mounting three point belts.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, has someone done something like this before or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Paintguy

Hopefully Henry Yorke will see this.

He hasn't actually fitted 3 point belts, but I'm sure he's made some kind of shoulder straps for his rear belts to make them 'safer' for the kids.

If he doesn't reply soon, try sending him a PM, or I'll point him in this direction :)

Gentrix

at least, this looks like it could be possible.

cabbelt.jpg

kartman

Thanks guys :lol:

I have seen the ones in the pick, but the lack of an upper mounting point is the problem......not sure how to get round it.

Phil H

I had a particular CTI for a short time, that had three point belts. I seem to recall they were bolted to the metal below where the hood hinges fold down onto as it is quite soid there.

PhilCTI

It's something I've been thinking about for a while, now the kids have to sit on bolster seats in the back they don't sit as snuggly into the seats anymore, and it's harder to get the belt tight enough.

I've been toying with fitting proper 3 point harnesses instead of the lap belts, it's just deciding where to place the rear fixing, my two are quite excited about having racing harnesses!

jackherer

IMO the P clips, the bar and the straps you've used are all far too weak for anything other than possibly restraining occupants under braking. It also relies on the rear seatback staying in place. Also, if it was all secure the narrow straps wouldn't spread the load of an impact very much so would likely cause further injuries. Just my opinion but that really doesn't look very safe to me.

2IMG_7727-med.JPG

Henry Yorke

Agree Kieran. They are there just to add some mild support under braking. Also the kids (5 and 7) don't have the same mass and interia as an adult and even then, I think the limited straps being there are better than no strap at all. Obviously the concept is OK and the design could be improved upon. It cost me under a tenner to do that!

Lap belts scare me as they can bend you in half. A 205 is not exactly an ENCAP winner is it!

jackherer

I agree that lap belts are scary, its a while since I've had a 205 with rear seats but when I did I always removed the centre lap belt just leaving the two 3 point ones.

BTW Have you considered what your insurance company, the police and the mot man might have to say about those straps?

Sign in to follow this