• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Pulling One Way, Then The Other.

macaroni

This has been covered before, but I'm out of ideas.

Now I've started motorway driving, a strange problem has come to light. On the power (not much, just applying the throttle), the car pulls to the left. I can see the wheel turn slightly in my hands. Coming off the power, it pulls to the right. This happens in a straight line and on a right hand bend, under power the car understeers and on a left hand bend, under power the car tightens the line.

I've replaced the n/s wishbone bushes, the o/s are fine, with minimal play.

I've replaced the struts and the top mounts, including rubbers and bearings.

All bolts etc have been checked and are tight.

Also checked: bottom ball joints and hub bolts not ovalled.

Steering rack bolts all tight.

Steering column UJ has no play and fully greased.

Any more ideas? I know it could be the rear beam, but would that cause wandering on/off the power in a straight line?

I need something else to try before I throw in the towel and take it to a garage!

Antony

DamirGTI

Check the wheel alignment :( , other than that could be some sort of steering gear malfunction :unsure:

Rgs ! B)

Damir

jackherer
he o/s are fine, with minimal play.

Minimal play? Forget it with a 205 GTI, they need to be perfect. Spend the £15 on a set (both sides) of genuine bushes and bolts.

macaroni

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Damir, I forgot to mention I had the tracking checked too after I fitted the wishbone bushes.

I did buy genuine bolts and bushes, but only fitted the n/s, as the o/s side seemed fine.

The n/s was pretty bad, with obvious play, but the wandering didn't improve after replacing the bushes on that side.

I guess it must be something to do with wobbly suspension, but I just can't find anything to put my finger on. I'll get the o/s bushes replaced and see if that helps.

Tom Fenton

Look very carefully at the rear beam. I've recently rebuilt one for a guy on here, his car was all over the place, the rear beam had a very small amount of play in it, but this was sufficient to make it veer about all over.

macaroni

Tom,

would that still be case if the wandering was in a straight line too?

Jrod

You did do the wishbone bush bolts up with the weight already on them didn't you?

Edited by Jrod

Tom Fenton

From your description I would say that the rear beam certainly is a suspect. Obviously the wishbone bushes are easier and cheaper to change, so try these first.

RossD

Also, a completely knackered shock can cause this in my experience. Any oil film around the rod on any of the shock absorbers?

zilog

My car is 100% in the chassis, still I had problem with pull under braking (not under acceleration), what caused the problem was broken cord in the right hand side front tyre..

Ahl

The balljoints on the end of the track rods (on the steering rack) can cause this.

I've had 2 left side balljoints go on me, but never the right side.

There will be play in the trackrod where it goes into the steering rack if this is the case.

macaroni

I did jack up the wishbones before tightening the bushes.

The shocks are very dry and in good nick and from a 306gti6.

The track rod ends are fine, but I can't vouch for the rack ends.

I have just jacked up the n/s rear and there is a tiny bit of play in the trailing arm.

It was diagnosed as being suspect a while ago, but the wandering felt very much from the steering.

I'll bow to all your greater knowledge though and focus on the rear beam.

Cheers,

Antony

ants1974

Are you running a standard gearbox? On my last 205, with a BE3 i had the same problem, turned out to be a worn diff bearing. Only noticed it cos the seal started weeping slightly.

macaroni

Not sure about the gearbox, it feels like a 1.6. Definitely a BE1 (reverse to the left and forward with a locking collar).

It feels more like something diff rather than rear beam related to be honest.

The clutch needs changing soon, so it would be a good time, anyway, to fit a proper 1.9 box.

kyepan

tyre pressures - seriously, check they are even.. i replaced all the stuff you did and still had the wander on and off the gas... oops. ps the bushes were knackered but the tyre pressures didn't help.

Tom Fenton

Tiny bit of play in the trailing arm will be the cause IMO. Any play at all is too much.

dazEmad

Just found out my handling is the front bush. Massive play in the wheel when u kick it.

M@tt

snap mines the same as Daz's had a look at the weekend and the front wheel moves loads when you rock it, it looks liike the front bushes are fooked on them, picking up a new set of Peugeot bushes now on the way home

M@tt

my front drivers side wishbone bush looked like this when i took it off last night

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

BusEngineer

Mine started doing that just before xmas, i had had it jacked up two weeks previous and felt for play and it was solid. Then it started wandering around when on and off the throttle!! Jacked it up and bottom ball joints were terrible, pair of wishbones duly fitted a week before xmas (that was cheap!! ha ha) and alls well now. These sorts of problems develop so quickly!!

jimistdt

I also had this, but it was more noticeable with the turbo kicking in, turned out the bushes in the lower suspension arm had disintegrated, in turn elongating the hole, needed new arms. Problem has gone now.

macaroni

OK, solved the problem, the nearside rear subframe rubbers are knackered, both at the front and top of the 'frame!

Which are the best ones to get? Is it worth going for solid group A ones for road use?

Does the BakerBM kit include all the mountings for both sides, front and rear of the subframe?

Cheers,

Antony

tom_m
OK, solved the problem, the nearside rear subframe rubbers are knackered, both at the front and top of the 'frame!

Which are the best ones to get? Is it worth going for solid group A ones for road use?

Does the BakerBM kit include all the mountings for both sides, front and rear of the subframe?

Cheers,

Antony

subframe mounts? do you mean the rear beam mounts?

in which case yes the grp-a baker kit includes all the mounts. the grp-n just gives you the rear pair

macaroni

Yes, rear beam mounts. Great, I'll order a set then.

Sign in to follow this