• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

Carplan Black Trim Wax

pete1986

post-9108-1212444123.jpg

Stubbled accross this stufff in halfords earlier, i had run out of Autoglym bumper care and thought i would feel like a right plum wiping peanut butter all over my car! Its only £4, and it works an absolute treat. In the past, even with AG bumper snot, i have never been able to get my bumpers the same colour as the side trim. But with this stuff the rear bumper looks as good as the brand new black boot panel. It truly is an excelent product.

I would say its more like a dye/wax, not only will it stain your trim but ur hands as well, damn it. Only joking, came off with a bit of scrubbing. It can be, however, quite hard to get off the paintwork. I think there is an ideal amount of time to leave it before wiping it off the paint, as wiping it when its wet will just smear it, and too long and its just a pain in the arse. Anyway looks spot on now though, and may be enough to stop me from buying phase 2 trim depending on how long it lasts. Ill post up a photo or two tomorrow

KRISKARRERA

I'd recommend this too! Lasts for ages and actually stains the plastic permanently. And skin. :lol:

welshpug

is it like a white goo? as the bottle is identical to a Turtle wax product I have used before.

Edited by welshpug

KRISKARRERA

No, it's like tar! As black as the blackest black!

pete1986

That turtle wax stuff is crap, i know what u mean about the bottle and thats what i thought at first.

This stuff is blacker than Wesley Snipes!

gerlewislewis

This 'might' be the stuff that when you wash your car next, it comes off in rubbery scummy bits.

Im not sure though - might have my products confused! :lol:

Ger

Fox

I'll keep my eyes peeled for this, I did the heat gun trick, but it still lacks shine...

gerlewislewis

fox, try peanut butter after the gun (or olive oil ive been told)

Fox

Someone did mention peanut butter to me, I thought they were taking the piss! What do you do, wipe it on, then wipe it off? Will it not just attract loads of flys?

EdCherry

You use peanut oil, not peanut butter. And it removes wax from trim as well.

damien
This 'might' be the stuff that when you wash your car next, it comes off in rubbery scummy bits.

it is, well i used it and overnight it rained and the stuff had ran all over the car and there was big black blobs stuck all over the place.

ended up going over the whole car with bug/tar remover.

that stuff gets the thumbs down from me :lol:

KRISKARRERA

Yes but I found that so long as it doesn't rain for about a day after applying it you're ok.

gerlewislewis

"You use peanut oil, not peanut butter. And it removes wax from trim as well."

theres peanut oil in peanut butter. - I used it as it was readily available, easy to apply, and cheap. Worked a treat

GLPoomobile

The thing about peanut butter is, will the trim still look so nice and shiny once a few passing dogs have had a good old lick of it? :lol:

KRISKARRERA
The thing about peanut butter is, will the trim still look so nice and shiny once a few passing dogs have had a good old lick of it? :)

Hey you said that on another thread!

gti-si

I'm waiting for someone to post:

'I smeared peanut butter on my trim but it looks kind of brown and gooey? :) '

I'd go for Autoglym bumper snot. If the trims really faded, like said, use the heat gun then maintain it with the bumper snot, it gives it a brillaint shine, lasts quite well too. I'm not into the black tarry stuff, used this before and it just ends up a mess

Edited by gti-si

GLPoomobile
Hey you said that on another thread!

Where's the disclaimer that states I'm not allowed to recycle my own banal and pointless comments? :)

But 10 out of 10 for paying attention :D

Pob
Where's the disclaimer that states I'm not allowed to recycle my own banal and pointless comments? :o

But 10 out of 10 for paying attention :D

I tried a few things on mine and found Merguires endurance tyre gel to work really well. Lasts a long time and comes up really well

Dan

MerlinGTI

Ive been using meguires 'hot wheels' tyre stuff, bit like black to black but better (lasts longer than 10 minutes!)

To anyone doing the same or thinking of may I advise against it. It worked brilliantly for months then all of a sudden all my trim went a really washed out grey (like it was covered in road salt). Re-aplication of hot wheels only yeilded simular results.

In the end I heat guned my side trim and re-textured the front and rear bumpers!

Meguires hot wheels on trim = bad.

Dan Ingram

Best stuff to use is Chemical Guys VRP Dressal. It takes a bit of rubbing in but brings the trim back to how it should be. No sticky residue or anything left just fresh looking trim.

pete1986
it is, well i used it and overnight it rained and the stuff had ran all over the car and there was big black blobs stuck all over the place.

ended up going over the whole car with bug/tar remover.

that stuff gets the thumbs down from me :o

Typically, it rained straight after i cleaned the 205, and used this carplan stuff, but the was no black blobs the next day. It still looks good today (apart from the mud sprayed up it :D ) and doesnt rub off. So, all in all im still impressed with it apart from getting it off the paint work... grrrr!

Best stuff to use is Chemical Guys VRP Dressal. It takes a bit of rubbing in but brings the trim back to how it should be. No sticky residue or anything left just fresh looking trim.

Sounds good, where can you get this stuff from? Expensive??

Dan Ingram

Nope not at all. £7.95 for a bottle that'll last you months. www.cleanyourcar.co.uk thats where I buy it from.

mhyphenl
Nope not at all. £7.95 for a bottle that'll last you months. www.cleanyourcar.co.uk thats where I buy it from.

Excellent, thanks. Saves a fortune on new bumpers.

pike_1.9cti

i used auto gylm bumper care, that seemed to work well on anything! Used it on the seals and the vinyl roof, might give that other stuff a go sometime aswell.

S13Nick

morrisons petrol stations 3 quid!!!!!!!!

Sign in to follow this