• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mfield

Increase Mpg

mfield

My missus has got a 106 with a 1.1 spi engine and i'm just wondering if there is anything that can be done to increase it's mpg ?

She's getting about 450-500 miles to the tank which tbh is pleasing, it was getting 400-450 a few weeks back untill it had some new tyres fitted which has help the mpg no end :)

I've heard the mpi engines are very economical as well but didn't know if the cost of getting one and fitting it will give enough of an increase in mpg to warrent the cost of the conversion, or is better to stay with the spi ?

I only ask because of the rising cost of fuel and the tightness of my wallet :lol:

Powers

Fit a rev limiter around 2k rev/min!

Oh and dont tell her.

mfield
Fit a rev limiter around 2k rev/min!

Oh and dont tell her.

"what are you doing with that block of wood ?"

" nothing dear :lol: "

mfield
Have you read Sandys fuel consumption topic;

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...uel+consumption

I have now :lol:

I don't have a spare Dta ecu lying around though :P

I could get something like megasquirt reasonably cheap but the cost of mapping added to it bumps the price up, looks like Sandy was getting 55mpg instead of my 45-50mpg which is a good improvement. The 106 does about 14k miles a year so it would be a saving of £300 a year which effectively pays for the mot,insurance,tax and consumables :)

But how much would it cost to get it to that economy ?

Just had a look at Autogas(lpg) and the saving per year would be nearer £700 a year, just need to find how much that is to do a conversion.

johnnyboy666

bear in mind the government will probably start taxing lpg soon, as soon as enough people have started using it lol

andychalmers

I wish I was getting that sort of miles to the gallon. To make you feel better I have a Evo 7, it does 170 miles to a full tank, it does roughly 20mpg with steady driving :) .

I remember a tv program many years ago to help increase mpg. All I can remember is make sure the tyres are blown up correctly, make it as light as possible i.e. empty all the rubbish out, and I think they said 56mph was on average the most ecconomical speed to drive ????. I just fill her up now and dont pay any attention otherwise I'll cry, lol.

Sandy

I think the circa 50mpg you're probably getting is pretty good. Going over to multipoint is a pretty involved process and arguably not worth the agro or the cost for the improvement unless you already have the bits you need!

To get the best economy, use the engine in the 2500-3500rpm range, which is the most efficient band for pretty much all engines, below that fuel does get wasted and above friction increases disproportionately. Avoid sudden throttle movements and large throttle openings too, which demand extra fuel for relatively less power.

Make sure the tappets are accurately set, the Cat (if fitted) isn't breaking up and the air filter is clean. Taking the tyres up 2-3psi helps a little but will ultimately lead to uneven wear.

I studied quite carefully what the best speed is on the flat, by recording the injector duty cycle and comparing it to speed/ground covered. 50-55mph was clearly the optimum.

mfield
Make sure the tappets are accurately set, the Cat (if fitted) isn't breaking up and the air filter is clean. Taking the tyres up 2-3psi helps a little but will ultimately lead to uneven wear.

I studied quite carefully what the best speed is on the flat, by recording the injector duty cycle and comparing it to speed/ground covered. 50-55mph was clearly the optimum.

The wife drives at about 55mph as it is, due to have a nasty crash when she first passed, it's quite reassuring to know she's not booting it about ;)

I'd forgot all about checking the air filter and will have a look when it stops raining.

Don't suppose there's anywhere i can find the info on the tappet clearence without forking out for a haynes manual ? just seems pointless for two measurements :lol:

welshpug

0.20mm inlet and 0.40mm exhaust (Cold)

mfield
0.20mm inlet and 0.40mm exhaust (Cold)

Cheers :lol:

Any idea on the +/- ? e.g 0.05 ?

AdamP
Cheers :lol:

Any idea on the +/- ? e.g 0.05 ?

You guessed it!

mfield

cool, cheers lads for the info :lol:

jackherer
Avoid sudden throttle movements and large throttle openings too, which demand extra fuel for relatively less power.

As an experiment in fuel economy I found that a full throttle burst followed by coasting in neutral gives amazing results. Obviously its not practical in traffic but in the early hours I managed to get close to 50 MPG in an old 2.5 v6 manual vauxhall omega estate that normally only gets 25-30mpg!

Sign in to follow this