• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davepug205

1pop Rattle And Stop

davepug205

Well Ive just bought myself a poverty model while my GTIs in bits, its a F reg 1.1 Junior in white which was cheap and not to far away.

You cant even adjust the wing mirror from inside the car. :):P

Anyway it has an engine rattle which is worse under acceleration and it also overheats I presume as the stop light and water light come on. It has water in it and its bleed up but the fan is almost always on!

So has anyone had any problems like this or can suggest what it will be, I was thinking it might be end bearings but the overheating made my think its the water pump or something? Please help before I break it :lol:

Should I just put a new engine in?

I will post pics of the passion wagon tomorrow :D

thanks dave

M@tt

sounds like the bottom end has definately gone. stop light comes on because oil pressure is too low and thats cos the shells have spun., although iirc the stop light also comes on if the water level is too low also.

as for overheating could be HG, is it smoking at all (white?) can you do a compression test on it?

sound like a case for a new engine tbh

Edited by M@tt

davepug205
sounds like the bottom end has definately gone. stop light comes on because oil pressure is too low and thats cos the shells have spun., although iirc the stop light also comes on if the water level is too low also.

as for overheating could be HG, is it smoking at all (white?) can you do a compression test on it?

sound like a case for a new engine tbh

Cheers M@tt the engine still has alot of go for a 1.0 and it doesn't smoke at all. The rattle is very pingy, do shells make more of a knocking sound when they go? I might be wrong tho. I will try to get a compression test done.

The water light comes on with the stop light which made me think it was the water pump, as the top rad hoses are still cold when the light comes on and the fan kicks in. :) I think only half the systems getting hot. Can water pumps rattle?

Cheers Dave

davepug205

Anyone please?

christopher
Well Ive just bought myself a poverty model while my GTIs in bits, its a F reg 1.1 Junior in white which was cheap and not to far away.

You cant even adjust the wing mirror from inside the car.

Don't knock it the Euro Rallyes don't either!! The metal adjusters must weigh too much. Every little helps :blink:

The stop and water light come on at the same time. There can be many reasons. If yor fan works and there is enough antifreeze it could be something wrong with the thermostat.

As you suggest I would check the waterpump too..If the top hose is not warm then it sounds fishy.. Pop it out and take a look

Edited by christopher

RossD

I've experienced a poppy-rattly type sound when the exhusta manifold was leaking, between the manifold and the head. Might be worth a look? Also are the valve clearances all to spec?

TT205
as the top rad hoses are still cold when the light comes on and the fan kicks in. :lol: I think only half the systems getting hot

This isn't right for a start - doesn't sound like your coolant is circulating

- air lock

- blockage in pipe

- rad blockage

not uncommon for the smaller pipe from header tank to block

Does heater work? - if not there is no circulation through the heater matrix - so again would suggest blockage

As you are clearly overheating? - I'd sort this out first and then look for other problems before you blow head gasket or sieze the engine

davepug205

Thanks everyone some intresting points there, I am going to tackle it at weekend so will post what I find :lol:

Casanova

The STOP light just comes on if any warning light is on. My XS has it on constantly as one of my sensors isn't plugged in.

Don't know about the rattle, could be a death thing or could just be tappets needing adjusting?

Overheating, sounds like what I had on my grey XS when I took it to bits. The rad had disintegrated internally and bits of rusty rad sludge had completely blocked the water jacket, so there was little to no circulation.

But if its just a temporary car, I'd be tempted just to run it until it dies frankly :D TU's are very hardy and can take a LOT of abuse (from experience). When I killed my 1.0 (thats the engine below yours :P) it still ran, despite being so low on oil that when I took the sump plug out, not a single drop of oil came out :) Yours will probably keep going for a good few thousand miles...

§

Sign in to follow this