• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Sumps Leaking Again, Can I Use An Xu10 Sump?

KRISKARRERA

The sump oil leak is back!

Some of you may remember it took quite a few attempts for me to get it to seal back in 2004.

I was thinking maybe I could fit an XU10 sump so that I can do away with the so-called stiffener plate and have only one thing to seal.

Thing is though I need an aircon sump with mounting holes on the side for the aircon tensioner pulley, did they make any with those?

philfingers

Mi16 sump fit? Or is it an Mi sump that's leaking?

KRISKARRERA

Yeah it is an Mi16, a proper one :)

Oh and here's a nice pic of the leak...

post-27-1212336242_thumb.jpg

boldy205

surely a Gti6 sump has the A/C brackets? but is it not a bad idea to run without the spacer/stiffener plate?

KRISKARRERA

Yeah.

Though I don't mean those front bits that the compressor is mounted on, I mean on the side where the tensioner is mounted.

Found a pic from Anthony on another thread from S16:

post-27-1212358837_thumb.jpg

KRISKARRERA

So is GTI6 sump same volume as Mi16 sump + spacer/stiffener?

philfingers

Not sure. Haven't put any oil in it yet! RonnieG has this setup I think. I think it's something like 6.75l but could be wrong,

Phil

RonnieG

I'm running my Mi16 with the strengthener/spacer still in place with the Gti6 sump. With this setup including a new oil filter it's taking 6.5 - 6.75ltrs of oil to hit the max line on the dipstick.

KRISKARRERA

Yeah but I'm just trying to find out about fitting an XU10 sump without the spacer / stiffener plate - because when you use that awful thing you have two possible places for oil to leak instead of just the one. Still Miles tells me that plate must be used so I'm a bit stuffed really.

saveloy

Mr Kris, have you checked both the spacer and sump for straightness? It's likely that either one, or both are bent and causing the seapage.

KRISKARRERA

Yeah I did that in 2004. I spose I can't complain, my last sealing effort was good for nearly 4 years.

Miles

How did you do this Kris?

philfingers

definately wouldn't do without it, not in an Mi which are notorious for oil problems!

KRISKARRERA

NEWS FLASH!

I just got under car and checked the sump bolts - all loose! (Tightened up the ones I could get at, the others are obstructed by a big phat air conditioning compressor.)

I can only think of two reasons they came loose. 1. I didn't tighten them up enough 4 years ago and they've vibrated loose. 2. The sealant has vanished and that would leave them loose. Or 3. The bolts have been used too many times and no longer grip enough. Oh that's 3 reasons.

Oh well, I'll have to redo it all sometime.

Richie-Van-GTi

with the sump and plate off wind a clean bolt through each hole to clear the threads of oil before refitting, thats usually the most common cause of bolts working loose. Then just a good dose of liquid gasket should solve :lol:

welshpug

Wurth/Nissan RTV FTW Kriss!!

KRISKARRERA

But where am I going to get Wurth/Nissan stuff from?? Can't I just use any that's "RTV"?

saveloy

The sump bolts get loose, nothing strange about that. It's due to the engine block twisting, heat, the influence of the Lord, and other technical stuff. Just remember to torque them up every 6 - 12 months.

Just get yourself the Pug RTV, that will be more than fine, do the job properly and we won't need to hear your sobbing for another 4 years.

KRISKARRERA

Asshole! :) To be honest I can't tell with you whether you're joking or just being bloody rude!

I'll see how much the Pug stuff is. I'll probably just get a vacant stare as usual.

Sign in to follow this