• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
number2301

Removing The Handbrake Cable From The Rear Caliper

number2301

Has anyone ever run into problems with this before? I'm changing my rear calipers so I can bleed the system and one side was fine with a little persuasion but the other side won't budge at all. I seriously spent an hour trying to do it and Haynes has about 3 words on it.

Does turning the bolt shaped bit on the end do anything?

Annoyingly I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the cable once its off due to having mullered it trying to get it out!

j_turnell

The metal sleeve often corrodes and gets stuck, few hits with a hammer and chisel generally does the trick. Soak it in some wd-40, and if really stubborn a little bit of heat wouldn't hurt.

timb1046

i ended up getting so pissed off with them i just cut both, there £10 a side from pug, and seeing as they hold your car still on hills well worth the £20. i dont think mine had been changed since day one.

C_W

Assuming you mean the part that locks into the caliper, it's on splines so it won't turn so you're only option is as j.turnell said and hit it out (forwards).

philfingers

once it's out clean the hole with a round file and then put plenty of grease on when you put the news ones back in.

number2301
i ended up getting so pissed off with them i just cut both, there £10 a side from pug, and seeing as they hold your car still on hills well worth the £20. i dont think mine had been changed since day one.

I think I'll take that option seeing as it looks pretty much like scrap now. Is it advisable to replace them both at once? I got the other changed over fine.

Tom Fenton
once it's out clean the hole with a round file and then put plenty of grease on when you put the news ones back in.

This is very good advice, the steel insert on the end of the cable corrodes for angleterre into the alloy body of the caliper.

pug_ham
Is it advisable to replace them both at once? I got the other changed over fine.

Yes, it is advisable to replace them both together. Otherwise you'll have different amounts of stretch between the old & new cable.

I've just replaced mine this afternoon prior to the MOT tomorrow & the drivers side cable end was well & truly stuck in.

The cable outer came out of the end piece before that came out of the caliper.:blink:

The new ones I've refitted have slotted ends so they shouldn't seize in as easily.

BTW the l/h cable is shorter than the r/h one if you're interested.

Graham.

number2301

Cheers for that, I'll grab a pair when the rain subsides :unsure:

welshpug

IMAGE_051.jpg

hope that helps :)

Atari Boy

IMAGE_0511.jpg

Thanks Welsh, this helps lots but the bit circled in red looks too wide to be pushed through the hole.

I am not questioning stuff, don’t get me wrong.

I will have a go tomorrow.

welshpug

NP! I've added a bit to the image, its all one fitting so you just tap it out with a punch.

Atari Boy

I am still being really stupid sorry.

Does the bit circled in red come out? If so does it come out through the calliper or away from it.

number2301

The whole bit outlined in green comes out leaving just a hole with splines. So yes, the bit circled in red does come out.

Atari Boy

Right, I won't use the work 'progress', maybe 'developments'.

See below. Have I ruined the calliper? Hammer and punch did not work.......

IMAGE_052.jpg

IMAGE_053.jpg

Atari Boy

For some reason the updated image from whelshpug did't show untill a minute ago. I have at long long last got the idea.

Is trying to drill out bad? Is the hole in the calliper tapered?

welshpug

this is what you're trying to remove;

pict0033.jpg

should be fine to drill it out, gradually increase the size of the bit, just don't go too large and damage the caliper itself.

pug_ham

No, the hole in the caliper is straight but there is a different sized lip where the cable end sits in.

You can only hit the end out from the handbrake lever side btw.

Graham.

post-71-1215871359_thumb.jpg

Atari Boy

Okay, can I hit this bit in the first image, so that it come out from the other side (second image)?

IMAGE_052.jpg

IMAGE_053.jpg

welshpug

yes

Atari Boy

All sorted, I had help from my drill and 11mm drill bit in the end.

the problem was that the top was flared so would be 'pushed' through.

Thanks for everyones help and patience.

Sign in to follow this