• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Subby

Cooling Fan Switch Help!

Subby

Hello,

The previous owner of my mi16 205 fitted a switch under the dash to turn the cooling fan on.

It worked, but randomly stopped working. I found a stray wire in the engine bay that is connected to the switch in the interior and gives 12 volts when switched on.

I cant for the life of me find anywhere for the wire to go. Ive traced the wire from the fan and it just goed back into the loom, and nowhere to connect this wire.

Is there anywhere obvious to connect it to turn the fan on with 12 volts?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks !

Subby

anyone ?

Subby

Can i test the fan actually works by just unplugging the fan switch?

Where is the fan switch? I can see two sensors right of the inlet which look like temp sensors?

gerry

just bridge the two wires on the fan switch :)

Subby

ok no voltage is getting to the fan when i short the temp switch.

does it have a relay in the mi16 loom or anything like that>?

welshpug

you have to short the pins on the plug not the switch!

no relays in the 8v single fan loom, only a resistor for the low speed.

Subby

yea i meant the plug :rolleyes:

Um yea im not sure why its not working then. what a pain!

Subby

this is confusing the hell out of me now.

For some reason the previous owner fitted a starter button, and that is wired into a relay along with the fan switch. From what i can make out, the only reason he has done this is so that they both become live when you turn the ignition on.

Then the random wire coming into the engine bay has 12 volts when the switch is on (which is how it worked before i guess), but it wont turn the fan on wired to the positive of the fan unless i wire a seperate earth to the fan.

However the meter reads 12volts between the negative of the fan and the random wire coming from the relay.

Does this mean the negative on the fan has high resistance or is a bit dodgy so wont take any current?

IT all seems a bit dodgy and awful wiring to me as an electrician.

Subby

What fans/radiator should be used on a mi16 conversion?

im going to fit the correct cooling and rewire it on a switch. Nothing else seems to work.

pug_ham
What fans/radiator should be used on a mi16 conversion?

im going to fit the correct cooling and rewire it on a switch. Nothing else seems to work.

Standard 205 GTi is more than suffiecent if its all in good health but you might need some bits depending on how your Mi has been piped in to blockoff unused inlet/ outlets.

The fan switch loom is a self enclosed loom which just runs between the shunt box (black plastic box, should be attached to the slam panel), rad fan switch, fan plug & temp resistor.

Graham.

Fox

I've just finished wiring my fan up, it had been butchered by the previous owner. I wired a relay and fuse to the black distribution box then to the fan motor, then the relay switch is under the dash.

I'd just go round and check what the PO has done and find the problem

Subby

ah ideal, yea theres 2 plastic boxes in there so ill have a look and try and sort it.

Cars going in for a respray next week and got refurbed wheels to go on, just need to put the rear torsion back to standard which im not looking forward to !

Subby

got back from coventry today and took a quick look, and i found the little box. and the wire i had found had disconnected from that.

hopefully once that is back on, all should be well!

Edited by Subby

Subby

this is stupid now.

Both wires coming from the fan have continuinty with the positive terminal of the battery. That doesnt make any sense as one end is connected to earth?

I cant get the fan to turn on in any way at all apart from connecting it across the battery. The red and black wires coming from the distribution block area have been crimped onto a different fan that has brown and black wires. However the red from the block is connected to the black of the fan, and the black of the block to the brown on the fan.

This is confusing the hell out of me.

I dont know if its going to turn on when it gets up to temp, so its quite worrying.

Whats the easiest way of wiring this all together to that it works?

Sorry to keep on.. :)

Subby

all sorted now. :lol:

Sign in to follow this