• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Loom&ecu Swap From 405mi To Xm Turbo

Anton green

I shall be doing this tomorrow and would quite like a heads up from those who have done this before, Im unexperienced at wiring looms, but handy with other types of electrical stuff.. it shouldnt be too bad BUT still havent done this before in any way shape or form so some tips would come in handy! -I remember taking my whole lower dash off to do the heater matrix years ago, I now know better..

When taking the ecu out will it handilly unplug, or will I have issues with having to route it through under the dash?

Are there things which I will be better off leaving in position for the new loom or shall I just unconnect everything which goes through the bulkhead wiring-wise, then feed it out through the engine bay?

anything else?

any tips much appreciated, thank you

Anton green

obviously the heater matrix has nothing to do with the loom, I am just illustrating what good advice can do as opposed to following the haynes. Does anyone have any tips on looming, running wires etc?

cheers

pug_ham

Haynes wouldn't offer any advice on removing a loom but the main thing you'll have to take into consideration is that the XM turbo loom will be shorter than the Mi or original 8v loom because of the ecu's location in the engine bay so you'll have some wires to find & extend to join in a suitable place & you will also have to find somewhere to fit the ecu in the 205 engienbay unless you are making a new loom so it can fit under the dash.

You will have to spend some time with a multimeter finding which wires from the XM loom plug you need to extend / join into the loom from your 205 when you have removed the Mi loom.

The difficulty is mainly going to depend on who fitted your Mi loom & how they did it. If the ecu is in the original under dash location then the dash needs to be stripped partly & loosened off to get the plug through the dash behind where the clocks fit.

Are you going to use the XM loom for thngs such as your alternator, stater solenoid & all sensors? If not you only have to find four wires afaik to join for it to run, fuel pump, coilpack switched feed, rev counter & K light & spit the original sensors loom & reversing light plug from you current Mi loom.

It shouldn't be difficult really but it will all depend on what & how things have been done before.

Graham.

Anton green

Thanks Graham. Things are making a lot more sense in the engine bay with every day that passes now.

I believe I will be running a sensor loom and a separate loom for the engine, seeing as I ran fresh wire to many sensors when I fitted a superseal connector last year in place of the brown multiplug -that is all fresh so shall be keeping it.

I'm certain I shall have more questions for this forum at some point, but for now- do you happpen to know if the sensors on the xu10 engine will function as they were designed to if connected directly to the xu9 sensor loom?

Thanks again, Anton

Sign in to follow this