• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smighall

Megasquirt - Not Starting

smighall

I have finally finished doing the engine loom for my 205 today. Connected the MS up (MSnS-Extra) and can see it reading all values correctly. It detects that i'm cranking but it doesn't even try to fire it seems.

It's a GTI6 engine running throttle bodies. Using the standard CPS, LS-1 Coils and GTI6 injectors. I've been though all the settings in megatune and can't seem to spot anything that appears wrong. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with the megasquirt itself.

Attached is my MSQ file, could some of you megasquirt guru's possibly have a quick look through the settings and see if there's anything clearly wrong, or any suggestions that might get me started

Thanks

205gti6.zip

ifcho

make a log while cranking and post it here.

If you have readings from all the sensors, then there are two options - you either don't have fuel or spark (or both actually).

Spark is easy to check - pull out the ignition cables and get them near some grounded metal...if they throw sparks while cranking ignition is probably OK.

Also check your spark plugs, they may be flooded ...

smighall

Just been and made a couple of logs. First one was with my settings as above. I then changed cranking RPM down to 150 just to try something different, and that's the 2nd log :rolleyes:

MS_log.zip

ifcho

looking at the logs it seems that you have quite big noise problems...

Make sure that MS has a good clean ground and a good stable +

smighall

I'll play about with the earth's tomorrow then. Cheers.

Does everything look ok in terms of injectors/cranking stuff in my config file?

Mad Professor

As already said make sure you have a nice strong earth, also make sure that all your sensors are also connected to the same earth that is feeding the Megasquirt otherwise you are just going to get no end of noise on the sensors, and also where have you put your earth?

Silly question do you have a 12v feed to your injectors and or coils wile cranking?

Settings.

Injector PWM Current Limit%: 80, if the injectors are >12ohm put this to 100.

Cranking Timing, I am sure when I was running MS1 extra this was set to Trigger Return.

Overboost Protection is set to 0kpa, if your engine is N/A put this to somthing like 110kpa.

They seem to be the onlys ones that I have spoted by having a quick look over your config file.

Edited by Mad Professor

smighall

Thanks for that. At the moment all the sensors are earthed to the gearbox stud, where as the ecu is mapped to an earth in the cabin, so i'll go sort that in a minute.

I have 12v to the coils and injectors whilst cranking yes. The only thing i'm not 100% is if the coils are receiving a trigger signal, so i'll check for spark this morning too.

Also, i don't know if it makes much difference but i'm not using the MAP sensor as the bodies don't have a take off on them.

Edited by smighall

smighall

OK, just been out and changed the earths and it looks to be getting a much cleaner signal from the sensors, or at least i think it is.

datalog200805151006.zip

smighall

Another question.....Should "Spark Output Inerted" actually be set to no for LS-1 coils where they have their own ignitors built in?

I don't seem to be getting any spark at all, fuel is being injected fine. Is there a way of testing the VB921 chips?

smighall

OK, one thing i've noticed is that the LED's don't light up on the MS when cranking at all. I've just connected a Stim to it again. If i just move the RPM pot up it IDL light comes on and Megatune says it's cranking. However if i twist the rpm pot quickly back and forth, i can see it sending a spark signal.

So i assume something is up with the HALL circuit possibly as it isn't seeing the signal properly?

Is the GTI6 Crank Sensor high or low?

ifcho

somewhere on this forum you can find the proper iginition settings, just search through the forum.

I don't have time to look at them now, but will try later that night.

smighall

Just read through the threads.

I'm getting a little closer now, i can see that i'm getting 1v to the trigger signal on the coils. However they need 5v's to trigger as far as i understand. So i presume i just need to change a couple of resisters to lift the voltage?

smighall

I know have spark, but it doesn't run, so need to play about with timing angles i expect. :)

smighall

I have it running now and trying to set the idle. This is where i'm hitting a wall, as it's a steep learning curve.

Would anybody mind showing me their VE tables for me to have a look at and try and get things straight in my head. I'm using alpha-n to map as there is no map take off on the bodies, but any working map should help me out a fair bit :)

smighall

Nodody have a map that i can take a look at then? :blush:

ifcho

sorry mate, my maps are for 1.6, don't think they will be of any use to you :-/

Rippthrough

Sean, have you got the current map handy to take a look at?

I've done a couple of maps on MS now, none on an XU engine yet, but I may be able to help out a little.

smighall

I take it you've got the megatune software Phil? I'll email you over the MSQ file. At the moment i've only been doing stuff low down, but need to start changing a few bits higher up the range.

Rippthrough
I take it you've got the megatune software Phil? I'll email you over the MSQ file. At the moment i've only been doing stuff low down, but need to start changing a few bits higher up the range.

Yeah, I've got it here somewhere, I'm pretty sure I've a DTA map from an Mi16 on bodies somewhere, if I can find that it should help.

smighall

If you find the Mi map, that would probably help a lot :)

Sign in to follow this