• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

Reducing Engine Movement

Casanova

My engine seems to move a lot - there is a distinct clonk whenever the accelerator is engaged or released.

(i) I suspect the lower mount - is mine knackered or are they just pants?

(ii) Can/should I fit a stronger lower mount or is a standard one all I need?

(iii) Is the lower mount the answer or am I missing something?

(iv) Are they expensive?

(v) Do uprated ones cause problems such as making the car noiser/more prone to vibration?

Cheers

§

kyepan
My engine seems to move a lot - there is a distinct clonk whenever the accelerator is engaged or released.

(i) I suspect the lower mount - is mine knackered or are they just pants?

they go eventually.

(ii) Can/should I fit a stronger lower mount or is a standard one all I need?

if you're using a standard engine, standard mount will be fine.

(iii) Is the lower mount the answer or am I missing something?

Could be the front drivers side top mount, but it's usually the lower one.

(iv) Are they expensive?

10 quid for a diesel 306.. i think.. one if you want something slightly beefier than a standard 203

(v) Do uprated ones cause problems such as making the car noiser/more prone to vibration?

The group a ones shake your teeth out and hide the engine note with vibration, had one, took it off.

Cheers

§

check about on here using search for the diesil bit.

Edited by kyepan

swordfish210

I'v got a full BBM Grp N (hard rubber) engine mount kit in my XT and i think it's great. If the engine is moving a lot then it probably is the lower engine mount as this was what went on mine (i think a combination of the kerbs at Combe and speed bumps killed it :) ) The full Grp N kit from BBM is about £91 inc VAT and delivery if i remember correctly and they dont cause the car to vibrate that badly (but then i do have a balanced crank) and they do improve the handling quite a bit, or so i'm told

andychalmers

Id go for a heavy duty bottom mount, they dont vibrate much & failry cheap. Another thing I noticed once on my car the bottom engine mount where the bolt goes through horizontaly, the holes had oveled off making the engine move & clunk. If you get a pry bar in you'll find out if your lower engine mount is ok or not.

Casanova

Know where I can buy a heavy duty one? That BBM kit is beyond my budget to be honest. Surely a diesel mount would be XU fitment... Unless we're talking TUD, did they get an uprated joblet?

§

Baz

The TD ones are a pretty good upgrade, and fairly cheap. Part no 1809.21

bren_1.3

you can use a 106 mount from somewhere like powerflex for 30/40 quid. my 106 uses an almost solid aluminium mount with a very small rubber bush, you get used to it after a while.

stew205

Casonova,

As you may already know BakerBM have been selling an uprated XU bushes for a few years now.

In four weeks times we will also have the equivalent TU lower bush on sale (price £25). It will be worth the wait if you can hang on that long! :angry:

Uprated TU lower bush:

dscn0057of1.th.jpg

swordfish210

Thats the one i'v got :angry: easy enough to fit with just a vice, and the old one pushed out with a vice and a bit of tube as well

inferno

have you actually confirmed the engine is moving ? ive had similar knocked turn out to be wishbone bushes or ball joints...

t16ryan

Have you checked the subframe bolts ? somes have a habit of working there way loose

macaroni

My old xs, which ^^^ acquired, had an uprated lower mount made from a 406 v6 rubber shoehorned into the standard xs housing. That seemed pretty solid.

Sign in to follow this