• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ethos

Best Way To Sort Sill Rust...

Ethos

Hi guys,

Pics are in my "polish and waxed" thread but thought I might get more replies if I make a topic purely about the rust.

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

I was thinking wire wall brush on a electric drill until down to bare metal, some sort of anti rust primer... fill it, primer again and then spray over.

I've never really done any body repairs but I have sprayed a few times.

Any tips / ideas appreciated :)

DamirGTI

Well id strip the paint first to see what's underneath :) and then decide if it's severely pitted/rusted id cut off that section and weld in fresh metal instead , on the other hand if its just surface rust then sand down (but with sanding disc not the wire brush) powdery rust to the bare metal (or as near) and threat the surface with some quality rust converter , painting/stone chip afterwards .

Rgs ! :(

Damir

Ethos
Well id strip the paint first to see what's underneath :) and then decide if it's severely pitted/rusted id cut off that section and weld in fresh metal instead , on the other hand if its just surface rust then sand down (but with sanding disc not the wire brush) powdery rust to the bare metal (or as near) and threat the surface with some quality rust converter , painting/stone chip afterwards .

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Thanks Damir,

What sort of sanding disc? Also what do you mean by "painting/stone chip afterwards".

I was planning to get the colour from halfords and try and match it in :(

I'm guessing if it doesn't need a fresh piece welding in it won't be that hard to sort if I take my time.

DamirGTI

Sanding disc on the angle grinder :) cos the wire brush isn't so effective for cleaning rust (im doing bodywork repairs for a last 2 months and im getting better results with sanding disc when removing/cleaning rusted areas .. wire brush is god for initial rust/paint removing so that you can see what's underneath however it does not remove fine rust particles it just polishes them leaving rusty "craters" behind , sanding disc is much better you can buy various grades 40grt 80grt 120grt etc. etc. )

Then after sanding apply rust converter liquid (buy some good one - Dinitrol , Loctite , Hammerite , POR ..) , when it's finished with chemical reaction apply few layers of primer then layer of stonechip coating (rubber based is best me thinks) and few layers of paint on top of it .

Rgs ! :(

Damir

read this : http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=89052

Edited by DamirGTI

Ethos

Awesome, that helps loads.

Looks like I need to buy some more materials....

*loads up google*

toddydal

mine wasnt as bad as yours but when i started to grind the rust it turned out to be a hole so i cut the rot out welded a new piece in skimed it with filler,stonechipped it and painted it and now its sound, by the looks of yours youll have to do the same

Ethos
last time i went to halfords they didnt have any steel grey paint, there is some on ebay though!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AEROSOL-SPRAY-PAINT-...p3286.m20.l1116

Oooh, thanks for the link.

I hope it doesn't need welding... although I do have a friend who can weld pretty well.

If I took this to a bodyshop they'd charge £silly money I'm guessing. I'm planning to put a mi16 engine in soon so money is tight...

Sign in to follow this