• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Partner/berlingo/expert Gearbox

ifcho

Hi,

I've been looking through smckeown's gear table and I noticide that a lot of partners/experts have a BE3/5 gearbox with a short diff - 4,93 one some Partners and 5.06 on some Experts.

Would the diff (crownwheel and pinion fit inside a 1.9GTI BE3 gearbox?). I think that such short diff would be perfect for a hillclimb car (what I'm buliding) top speed would be alittle limited at 180km/h but acceleration should be good.

Has anyone fitted such diff?

Are there any drawbacks in it?

Finding a mi16 diff here is quite difficult so I'm looking to some alternatives and we have a lot of experts and partners here...

Sandy

As long as it comes from a similar vintage BE3, yes. Some of the later BE3s and BE4s have a different 3/4 gear spline though, which creates a compatibility issue with the gears.

ifcho

I have found an Expert 1.9D in a local scrappy and locally it will have the 5.09 diff...will be open on Monday though.

I have browsed through Peugeot's technical documentation regardning gearboxes, but they have written it pretty complicated, so I could not understand whether the 1-5 gears from my 1.9GTI box will fit the expert one :D

ifcho

Well...I just found something interesting, while looking through Expert's boxes I noticed that some of the BE4R gearboxes are fitted with a LSD :blink:

I have just been looking at some manual how to adjust the diff for increased traction. Diff on a BE4R gearbox.

Anyone know if its possible to fit this to a old style BE3 box? (Probably not, but with the price of LSDs its worth asking :rolleyes: )

Edited by ifcho

KRISKARRERA

I'm waiting for our resident gearbox guru to spot this.

Sandy

The LSD boxes weren't fitted to any UK model AFAIK.

Chris H

The berlingo 4.93 cwp fits fine.....that what i have in my 205, the 4.53 also fits fine too......cant say for definite about the others but expect the 4.73 would fit straight in to a be3

ifcho

finding a 1.8d Berlingo here ain't very easy.

I hope the 5.09 diff from the expert will fit fine :)

vickiw106

even though the expert gearbox is a be3 gearbox

i think everything is bigger than a 205 be3 gearbox

therefore i dont think you will not be able swop final parts

i not sure on this will be interested to find out

ifcho

OK. I have another question, is the gearbox from a 4x4 Mi16, the same as on standard Mi16?

ifcho

It's the final drive I'm interested in. Will it fit a 205GTI BE3 box?

ifcho

again replying to myself...

After searching through the parts catalogue, I found that although the mi16x4 gearbox, does not have a differential in it, the crown wheel and the pinion gearing, have the same number as on the standart mi16.

So I guess, I have finally found a 4.4 FD for my car :)

vickiw106

the crown wheel and pinion will out of the berlingo/partner van will fit a 205 be3 box,

if you are looking at a be4 box then they wont fit

i have a friend who a has put a berlingo final drive in his be 205 gerabox it a straight swop

its just finding one

Edited by vickiw106

Henry Yorke

Magic ran a Berlingo box in his 441 bhp CTI T16. He seemed to think it had a diff in it too.

ifcho

What about the mi16x4 final driver?

Do you think it will fit?

petert
It's the final drive I'm interested in. Will it fit a 205GTI BE3 box?

Yes, the Mi16x4 cwp will bolt straight into a 205GTI BE3 box.

The Mi16x4 only differs in having a solid spool (rather than a diff), which directs all power to the transfer box.

andychalmers

From what I gather from above the Berlingo/Partner 4.93 CWP will fit in a BE3 205 box if the original box is a BE3, but not with a BE4. When did the Berlingo/Partner change from a BE3 to a BE4? Or does it depend on the engine model? Also is the Berlingo/Partner box stamped up saying its a BE3 or BE4?

Cheers

welshpug

pretty certain most of them are BE4, seeing as there weren't many with an XU engine.

they are indeed stamped BE3 or BE4, here's an odd one for you, a gti6 box has BE3 stamped on the bellhousing, but BE4 on the rest....

BE4 parts will fit inside a BE3 casing, as long as you use the right combination of parts (not sure exactly what offhand, but 3/4 cluster sits on a different spline) there are some pretty short ratio's out there in the BE4 boxes, 4.9 is the lowest I've found.

stuart

I don't know if it's much help but a guy I bought some bits off had one in his rally car and he said that it's the 1.8 non turbo berlingo that you need.

alync406

You would need to find a early van around 97 to get a be3.1st and 2nd from a be3 fit the be4 shaft but 3rd 4th and 5th won't fit,the splines are different.I could only manage to find a be4 box out of a partner/berlingo for my rally car.

Sign in to follow this