• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gerlewislewis

Removing Rear Bumper And Trim.

gerlewislewis

Well, ive removed all my trim, ive just got stuck on the rear. I have folloed this advice so far:

"REAR BUMPER:

proberly worth buying some new bumper bolts from pug before you start.

Disconnect No plate lights,fog and reverse. open the tailgate remove 2 more 13mm nuts, then remove 2 13s either side of the rear arches. ensure you soak every nut in wd40 first."

but it still seems to be stuck fast. There are 2 things which look like they could be the culprit:

1. There is a MASSIVE cross hair screw head in between the numberplate lights, does this connect to a bracket which requires removal?

2. The rear valance is held on to the cars frame by two struts which seem to be riveted, and as such are impossible to remove?! How do you get these off? - (even if I do get these off, I dont think they are whats holding the trim on, as the trim seems to be stuck fast!!!)

Help.....Ger

PS I snapped a good few bolts along the way :blush:^_^

toddydal

just grind the rivots off and grind the srew off as well job done

GLPoomobile

As Toddy says, just grind (or drill) the rivets on the bars to separate the valance from the bumper.

I seem to remember that the bumper has a fixing in the middle hidden behind the number plate (think that's what you have found). I'm sure I had to drill mine out, but it was years ago and my memory is sketchy.

gerlewislewis

Thanks for the advice guys.

The one I have found is above the number plate. I hope its not behind the plate as well, as the plate is bonded to the valance!

I will try to get a drill to the smaller ones, but that big cross hair needs a f**k off big screw driver. I will have to try to source one.

Ger

Edited by gerlewislewis

steve@cornwall
As Toddy says, just grind (or drill) the rivets on the bars to separate the valance from the bumper.

I seem to remember that the bumper has a fixing in the middle hidden behind the number plate (think that's what you have found). I'm sure I had to drill mine out, but it was years ago and my memory is sketchy.

The screw you've found fixes to a bracket which is bolted to the body with 2x 13mm nuts, accessed through holes in the bumper/ valance, there is a round plastic blank in the bumper for the top one, the bottom one may need the valance splitting from the bumper. Having removed all the fittings you have , I was stumped when removing one at the weekend. I removed the crosshead screw by "nicking" it with a chisel and using the chisel to hit the screw to turn it! (otherwise do the 2 13mm nuts ( I didn't know / remember the bottom of these until the bumper was off)

welshpug

there's one behind the plate as well ger;

07-05-08_2059.jpg

gerlewislewis

"there's one behind the plate as well ger;"

Bummer

"The screw you've found fixes to a bracket which is bolted to the body with 2x 13mm nuts, accessed through holes in the bumper/ valance, there is a round plastic blank in the bumper for the top one, the bottom one may need the valance splitting from the bumper."

I dont have round plastic blanks in my bumper, at least not visible from the outside. So if I undo the 2 x 13mm nuts then I wont need to undo the big screw?

Cheers guys

Ger

welshpug

yup, pop the plate off undo the 2 13mm nuts,

grind off the rivets on the stays,

unto the 2 13mm nuts inside the boot,

and the 2 at each end of the bumper job jobbed :)

mafo

This might sound a little crazy! But, If you plate is bonded on, try some heavy duty fishing line or similar about half a metre / and gloves - take each end in each hand - take the line behind the plate starting in one corner - and with a sawing action work your way under the plate to the other end.

Sign in to follow this