• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KaspaCti

Afm Resistance Linear Or Not?

KaspaCti

Hi,

Quick question,

When moving the flap and measuring the resistance on an AFM (1.6) should the resistance change linearly i.e. increase and decrease progressively between the specified lower and upper resistance or does it jump around (within the lower and upper resisitance figures) dependant on position?

Both of mine jump around within the range i.e reads 200 ohms then jumps to 600 then down to 300 etc etc as the flap is moved. I haven't got it in front of me but I think Haynes just says check reading varies between the lower and upper resistance figures quoted (can't remember what the figures are at the mo'), which could be read either way.

I have done a search but couldn't find this info specifically. My gut feeling is that it should be linear and that the jumping around indicates wear on the carbon track, but nothing would surprise me!

I have thought about getting an analogue meter as I know digital meters aren't that great for showing a changing reading. However as the resistance is jumping around so much I presume the digital meter is giving me a fairly accurate indication of what's going on. Be interested to know what others are using and what results you get.

Many thanks

Sean

welshpug

it should be linear, pop the cover off and you'll see if there's wear on the tracks, there are a few threads covering taking the AFM apart on here I think ^_^

KaspaCti

Cheers guys thanks for your help and the link.

Sean

Rob_the_Sparky
it should be linear, pop the cover off and you'll see if there's wear on the tracks, there are a few threads covering taking the AFM apart on here I think :rolleyes:

Please be careful with you info, a Motronic AFM is linear but a Jetronic is not. On a Jetronic the AFM track froms the closest thing that Jetronic has to a fuel map. On Motronic (and all digital ECUs that I'm aware of) the map in stored in memory and the AFM output is just an indication of air flow.

KaspaCti
Please be careful with you info, a Motronic AFM is linear but a Jetronic is not. On a Jetronic the AFM track froms the closest thing that Jetronic has to a fuel map. On Motronic (and all digital ECUs that I'm aware of) the map in stored in memory and the AFM output is just an indication of air flow.

Thanks Rob, you,ve saved me butchering one of my AFMs! Mines definitely Jetronic so I guess as long as it moves around within the quoted resistance range it should be ok.

Thanks again

Sean

welshpug

no matter which system its from it shouldn't do the following.

jump around within the range i.e reads 200 ohms then jumps to 600 then down to 300 etc etc as the flap is moved.

Rob_the_Sparky

Agreed, the earlier link shows how it should respond. Not linear but not jumpy either. Be careful when checking it though as I've seen some misleading readings before. If the engine runs anything like OK then it isn't jumping around in reality as this would throw the fuelling out all over the place.

Sign in to follow this