• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

205 Jumping :-)

ifcho

These days at the office I've been watching quite many crashing videos with a lot of 205s involved and I noticed that most incidents with 205s were caused after crests when the backend lands and then jumps again getting the car out of balance and forcing the car into a spin..

Like this one for example:

Comparing the landing of a 205 to a WRC car there is a huge difference... the WRC car even after an enormous jump lands and stays planted to the road in an almost unbelievable way, while the 205's backend starts to bounce around...

I guess this behaviour of the 205 is related to the rear shocks mounting angle? And the fact the the shock moves quite a little compared to a mcpherson strut for example and does not have enough movement to dissipate the energy?

So I guess the only solution would be converting to rear mcphersons struts? ..except from using some very high end suspension stuff like ohlins/proflex?

I wonder, how have the f2000/maxi 306 spec cars solved this problem? AFAIK they are running standard torsion beam suspension at the rear?

tom_m

the ride height and length of suspension travel available to soak up impacts like that just isn't there in a 205. WRC dampers are designed to take it. that and the aero package helps keep the back end down in the air. chris atkinson lost his rear wing in finland one year and landed his subaru on its nose after a jump and the car behaved pretty much just like that video.

McDude

Slightly Off Topic, but the original 205 T16 group B cars were notorious for landing nose first - it properly knackered Ari Vatanen.

It was caused by a mid-mounted transverse engine, the polar moment would rotate the car mid-air. It was one of the reasons the Evo version had that enormous wing fitted.

brianthemagical

Would rebound damping help at all?

welshpug

yes, 205 Gravel dampers tend to cope better with heavy landings than tarmac ones generally, best I've heard of in a standard beam layout is proflex, but £££££ :mellow:

johno_78

Bearing all the previous posts in mind, this evo 6 managed to have the exact same crash

i guess it was more a case of too fast for the jump than anything else, in both occurances.

Edited by johno_78

tom_m

if you search the jim clark on you tube it seems to be quite a common occurrence! i'm still going with the rear bottoming out, but yeah cos they were going too fast for the jump

Sign in to follow this