• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
WhartonMotorsport

Gti-6 Or Vts Engine?

WhartonMotorsport

Both the GTI-6 and the VTS Xsara have the same power outputs, are they they same engine?

If so, would it not matter if i used a VTS engine rather than a 306 gti-6 engine?

cheers,

dan

Baz

Exactly the same engine...

WhartonMotorsport

even the loom and so on?

According to stats the Xsara is quicker, must be the 5 speed box.

dan

Hilgie

yep...5 speed box...ECU is identical, loom is somewhat different as Citroen doesn't use coloured and numbered wires like Peugeot does.

jonnie205

looms are different as hilgie says but either loom can be used in conversion

WhartonMotorsport

oh cool,

So both engines are the same and either can be used in the conversion.

Do you guys think an engine from a VTS would be harder to come by than a GTI-6 engine?

dan

Peetypug

its easier to get a gti6 engine as they are a more popular car, when i was searching for my engine i saw 10 gti6's for every 1 xsara vts. If you can get the xsara get that as the 5 speed gearbox is better than the 6 speed for the 205 conversion. Iirc people say its very close to the mi16 box, which are recommended for the "6" conversion

Tom Fenton

Having driven 306 GTI-6's a few times, and having owned a Xsara VTS in the past, my personal opinion is that the Xsara is slightly quicker than the 306. The J4RS engine has a good power spread, and so doesn't really need the ultra close 6-speed box to keep it on the boil, the 5 speeder does the job just fine and results in less gearchanges. Having had a few ding-dongs with a mate who at the time had the supposedly lighter-faster 306 Rallye, there was nothing in it between that and my Xsara.

Twas a good car and I miss it.

WhartonMotorsport

ah ok.

Would it not ultimately be better to use the 6 speed box and fettle about with ratios ?

I can understand why a 5 would be better though.

dan

Super Josh
ah ok.

Would it not ultimately be better to use the 6 speed box and fettle about with ratios ?

I can understand why a 5 would be better though.

dan

The cogs are different in the 6 sped 'box, so you can't mix and match like you can with the 5 speed BEs. You also loose a ahit load of lock with the 6 speeder too. I would stick with a 5 speed 'box, be it an Mi, 1.6 or a hybrid. This is from someone that used to run a 6 spped 'box, but has gone back to 5 speed now. :rolleyes:

Josh

IntenseDan

Deffo GTI-6 engine! Much more fun!

Dan

Peetypug

i'm gona be running a 1.6 box on mine :rolleyes:

head and ear ache here i come :)

TurboSam

I've got a 1600 box on mine, its ok

the difference between a 1.6 box and an mi16 box at 70mph is only a couple of hundred rpm's at the most

WhartonMotorsport

Does anyone know where i can find the ratio figures for..

BE1/2/3

VTS 5 speed

GTI-6 speed

...gearboxes?

cheers,

dan

Tom Fenton

The steering lock with the 6 speed box is abysmal even in a 306, in a 205 it is not practical in my opinion.

cybernck
Exactly the same engine...

Deffo GTI-6 engine! Much more fun!

eh? what the heck does that mean? :rolleyes:

WhartonMotorsport
The steering lock with the 6 speed box is abysmal even in a 306, in a 205 it is not practical in my opinion.

is there no way or sorting that out? using 205 shafts as apposed to 309 shafts which are shorter?

dan

tom_m
is there no way or sorting that out? using 205 shafts as apposed to 309 shafts which are shorter?

dan

nope, the box is physically bigger to fit the 6speed cluster in. the extra length means you lose steering lock because the inside of the wheel hits the box before you get to full lock.

welshpug

Go for whichever engine is in the best condition and suits your budget.

the 5 speed BE box sits really close to the position of the wheel on full lock as it is (many that run 195's rub a tiny amount if the tyre has a square shoulder)

Best to stick with the 5 speed box, preferably mi16 in a road car as the extra grunt low down make sup for the slightly tall 1st and 2nd.

here's the difference in size -

BE3/5 box

PICT0277-1.jpg

BE4/6 GTi6 box

PICT0281-2.jpg

as you can see theres 6cm of extra casing which stick into the wheelarch.

WhartonMotorsport

great thanks for that!

any luck on gearbox ratios guys?

dan

philfingers

drop me a PM and I'll send you a couple of spreadsheets with ratios etc. You can input wheel sizes etc and change final drive too. Gives revs drop at the redline (changeable) and cruising speeds in 5th at 70 mph etc.

Can't attach them on here unfortunately

Sign in to follow this