• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ant

2.0 Turbo Engine

Ant

Hi folks,

Having a bad day - I recently changed the head gasket on the 2.0 turbo as it had a bit of white smoke on tickover..

Today i took it for a spin and when i pulled back up noticed oil dripping through the air filter ( cone filter ) via the inlet pipe.

I presumed it was being forced back from the engine via the breather pipe that leads off the oil filler cap to the turbo inlet pipe. However, ive since taken the pipe off and its bone dry all the way through,so no oil has passed that way.

I checked the inlet pipes at the turbo end and its soaked it oil.

Now i only changed the turbo 200 miles ago. The last turbo i had fitted filled the intercooler pipes with oil.

Or have i just got 2 dodgy turbos lol..

One has about 1mm of play in any direction side to side ( none back and forth )

The other turbo has about 2mm of play in all directions.

Both however were causing oil to spew out.

Can anyone advice on this. Ive never felt the blades of a brand new turbo - should there be no play at all on it ?

Or is 1mm acceptable and could an engine pressure issue be forcing the oil back out of the turbo ?

Any advice appriciated

Cheers

inferno

could be the seals are blown , very unlucky if its happened twice! The 1mm play turbo sounds normal, the play is taken out when oil fills the bearings under pressure. play over the lenth of the turbine shaft is not normal on the first turbo.

Turbos are not too hard to strip down and rebuild, and parts can be found cheep on ebay, if i wer you id strip the worst turbo down and look at rebuild potential, although u may find the bearing housing needs replacing or reboring, and the blades will probably be damaged, but it may give you the confidence to rebuild the better turbo with 360bearing and step seals :ph34r:

If the oil return is in anyway blocked or the oilways in the turbo bearing housing, it may cause oil to be force through the seal. They dont need a very high oil pressure feed, just a clear un restricted drain away from the turbo to operate properly.

tom_m
could be the seals are blown , very unlucky if its happened twice! The 1mm play turbo sounds normal, the play is taken out when oil fills the bearings under pressure. play over the lenth of the turbine shaft is not normal on the first turbo.

Turbos are not too hard to strip down and rebuild, and parts can be found cheep on ebay, if i wer you id strip the worst turbo down and look at rebuild potential, although u may find the bearing housing needs replacing or reboring, and the blades will probably be damaged, but it may give you the confidence to rebuild the better turbo with 360bearing and step seals :rolleyes:

If the oil return is in anyway blocked or the oilways in the turbo bearing housing, it may cause oil to be force through the seal. They dont need a very high oil pressure feed, just a clear un restricted drain away from the turbo to operate properly.

ideally you don't want any appreciable play in the shaft in any direction.

turbos are not hard to strip down, but if you disassemble the rotating components, they must be re balanced properly, or you could end up with them in very little bits.

if you've got no oil at all in the breathers could they be blocked? that could lead to a pressurised bottom end and oil being forced past the turbo's oil seals.

Sign in to follow this