• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Front Number Plate Position

Tom Fenton

When I repaired my red GTI I decided to make the front numberplate fit into the recess in the bumper, so I cut about an inch or so off each end and then fixed it into the recess. It looks like this-

Photo-0144-1.jpg

I've now decided I don't really like the position of the numberplate like that, its too low, but does anyone know what the standard fitted position should be? Covering the red strip partially? Or fully?

And does anyone have any pics of front numberplate positions to help me decide? I've ordered a new set of standard plates (mainly to get rid of the "Just GTIS" ones on the car :lol::lol: ) so will be changing them soon.

daveholman

I think mine has the number plate upper edge level with the upper edge of the red strip so it sits a little higher than yours, mine isn't the original number plate though so may not be in the standard mounting location.

Stu

All the ones ive had in the past, including the one ive got now, the upper edge of the plate sits in the recess as per your pic, with the left and right edges overhanging the recess.

Anthony

I've usually moved numberplates to put them where you have because I think they look wrong anywhere else :lol:

daveholman

To be fair mine catches a lot of muck in the gap between the number plate and the red strip so it's not a great mounting position.

GLPoomobile
All the ones ive had in the past, including the one ive got now, the upper edge of the plate sits in the recess as per your pic, with the left and right edges overhanging the recess.

I've just skimmed through the collection of 205 photos on my laptop and they are all like this too.

IntenseDan
I think mine has the number plate upper edge level with the upper edge of the red strip so it sits a little higher than yours, mine isn't the original number plate though so may not be in the standard mounting location.

Mines as above.

Dan

steve@cornwall
Mines as above.

Dan

Mine's too high ! It's stuck on with PU so It'll stay there for now

DSC00358.jpg

Baz
I've usually moved numberplates to put them where you have because I think they look wrong anywhere else :wacko:

Exactly as i do!! :lol:

Although i prefer them like this...;

Anulfo

post-10528-1209656685_thumb.jpg

Number plate positioned to the side.

swordfish210

DSC00229.jpg

or skewed off to the other side :wacko:

Atari Boy

Are the sticker number plates on the bonnet legal?

Baz

As long as they're reflective and on a forward(ish) facing surface then i believe so.

swordfish210

i had one but i got pulled for it and slapped with a £30 fine.

Paintguy

Mine's been in all sorts of positions, lol.

When I first got the car, it was right at the bottom:

res_Pug%20205_12.jpg

When I'd finished painting it, I put it quite low down:

Number%20Plate.JPG

I didn't really like either of those, so now it's back in more or less the standard position, with the top of the plate sitting just below the red strip (I've filled the recess on my bumper)

steve@cornwall

Just reviving an old thought... anyone tried fitting a rear bumper to the front? always thought the recess in the rear might look good with the plate mounted in it........

daveholman

I think the stick on ones would be illegal as the leading edge bonnet on a 205 isn't quite forward facing enough or big enough, you can just about get away with it on the leading edge of a mini which is near vertical and flatish.

Atari Boy

I can't find anywhere that does the sticker ones anyway.

I knew a chap that had one on his 205 years ago and I am sure it looked wicked.

sonofsam

I can get you a link, as I have bought one. Decided against fitting it htough after seeing what stickers can do to paint work!

plus I reckon it would get me a fine.

My number plate is gheto bolted to the bumper trim holes after the sticky tabs came off (it does look a bit odd/poo), really needs moving down into the recess

and even making smaller to fit into the recess can look cool I think <_< dont want to block my 'cooler :angry:

DaveW

stick on

post-3307-1209679743_thumb.jpg

Nathan_marriott

This is how i have it on my car, just to be different but if i had it on the NS then would obscure the towing eye................

Many people have asked what car i rally, i then reply White 205, Screwed up faces commence from there but then i tell them sith square offset numberplate, its all good <_<

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd51/na...14032008675.jpg

tom_m

the smaller the better imo :angry:

DSC00577.jpg

not been tugged for it yet... <_<

DaveW

But Tom your car is never on the road ;)

daza4

As mine is for the minute but Have got some new ones to go on when it has finished its rebuild.

205rebuildMarch2007036.jpg

As it was originally:

Image025.jpg

screwloose

I knew a chap that had one on his 205 years ago and I am sure it looked wicked.

I've got a sticker number plate - havent had any trouble from the Bib as yet.

I got it from Craigs plates. look under show plates and they refer to them as 'self adhesive' plates. Ordered online for £14 and arrived within 2 days!

They are a bugger to fit though.

Jonny

Sign in to follow this