• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Oe Headlight Covers

GLPoomobile

It's been posted before, but not so easy to find info on the search (I only found two topics searching under the part number), so I thought I'd post this up.

Went in to Pug yesterday to order a variety of parts. I thought I'd take a punt and see if they could get me a set of the OE headlight protectors (or headlamp covers, if you are searching by those keywords :lol::lol: ). These are the rare covers that pop up second hand on eBay for silly money every now and then, and were only listed in the old accessory catalogue for the 205 that is long since become defunct.

So, I went in armed with the part number

96821Q

and honestly expected for the guy to draw a blank (he was already puzzled as to how I had all the part numbers for everything, demanded to know where I had found them, didn't seem to know what Service Box was, and went on to warn me that I couldn't return anything if I'd given him the wrong part numbers and the wrong part came in :lol: ).

So anyway, to my surprise, he found the headlight covers on the system straight away, and confirmed they weren't in the country, but ordered them anyway. Apparently they should be coming in tomorrow along with the rest of my parts. I won't be picking up till next wednesday though, so fingers crossed they do actually turn up!

And the price? They are still £35.91, or £42.19 inc VAT, which is the same price they've been for ages (certainly the last year at least). I ordered mine from Robins & Day East London (Mile End) by the way.

I'm tempted to order a bunch more and flog them on eBay at a huge mark up :lol:

tom_m

to be fair i payed less than that for the set i got on ebay... and then broke one :lol:

Edited by tom_m

Arahan

I got some EGR ones for a tenner delivered! EGR are an Australian company! I like them, theyve got afew lines across the whole of them, and "205" written on the side! :lol:

GLPoomobile
to be fair i payed less than that for the set i got on ebay... and then broke one :lol:

There's always going to be bargains had for the eagle eyed! Steve@cornwall got a set for £15 back in 2006 according to an old topic! But anytime I've seen them on eBay it's turned in to a big bidding war and gone above the cost of brand new ones. And there was someone on here recently trying to sell a set who wanted a silly price.

I got some EGR ones for a tenner delivered! EGR are an Australian company! I like them, theyve got afew lines across the whole of them, and "205" written on the side!

I think I might have come across these when I googled a while back to see if there where any alternatives to the OE ones. At the time I dismissed them as I figured there was no point in going to the expense - if I was going to buy some I'd rather have genuine ones!

But do you have any pics to compare?

Super Josh

I took mine off years ago, as all the crap gets caught behind them and then they look s*ite. And you have to remove them each time you wash your car to clean behind them.

Josh

steve@cornwall
! Steve@cornwall got a set for £15 back in 2006

God! was it that long ago? :lol: I broke 1 as well :lol: Back then there were still gtis to be had for less money than present scrap value, too, though. I think we are underestimating the rate that all gti related prices are rising. I shall prob have to sell my red gti this summer after owning for about 6 years.........so prices will probably go ballistic in 2009 on my past form.

macaroni

ive got a pair, but like Super_Josh said, they are a bit of a pain and a replacement headlamp is cheaper!

djinuk

anyone got some pics of them fitted to a car

GLPoomobile
I took mine off years ago, as all the crap gets caught behind them and then they look s*ite. And you have to remove them each time you wash your car to clean behind them.

Josh

ive got a pair, but like Super_Josh said, they are a bit of a pain and a replacement headlamp is cheaper!

Well if I don't like them, I can punt them on again and shouldn't lose any money (there's always some mug on eBay :lol: ).

I've never had them before, and what with them being so desirable due to rarity I thought I'd go for it. Just a gimmick really :lol:

Simes

Josh

Same here binned them about 6 years ago, should have kept them to flog on ebay...grrrrr the benefit of hindsight.

GLPoomobile

Maybe after 6 months of usage my opinion of them will match my signature :wacko:

\/

\/

\/

\/

Edited by GLPoomobile

Arahan

I dont know how much you saw the EGR ones for, but a pair came up on eBagy a few months ago with a £6.99 Buy It Now and £3 postage, so I used the "eBay Star" voucher that had conveniently come through the post a couple of days before, so got them for nothing! :wacko:

I was a little annoyed at losing the 1 pence from my £10 voucher, but what can you do eh? :lol:

HeadlightProtectorssmall.jpg

Frontsmall.jpg

Phil H

P1010270.jpg

P1010268.jpg

Edited by Phil H

ifcho

and what's the point of these headlight protectors? <_<

GLPoomobile

The clue is in the name <_<

Arahan

^^^ haha!

GLPoomobile

I went to pick up my parts last week and they had been unable to source these covers after all. The system had showed them as being available to order, albeit from outside of the UK (so France presumably) but when they actually came to put the order through they found they couldn;t source them.

I'm not entirely convinced as I know GTI6BOY bought some a few months back, and I've heard previously that some clued up parts guys in certain dealerships know how to source them. Personally, I'm not really desperate enough for them to bother taking it any further.

jord294

i was told friday, when i went to order some, that they are not available anymore.

but they did give me a price, to show what i was saving :D

Henry Yorke

I got 2 sets last summer, one was on a shelf at a dealer and the other was ordered in which was apparently the last set in the UK as I ordered 2 sets and only one arrived.

I sold one set on ebay to help justify to the wife why I was spending silly money on the Speedline SL434 wheels, then went to order the new sets at the dealer after the wheels were fitted to the car!! I never fitte dthem though

A PSOOC group leader has just begged me for a set and prized them out of my hands, but I still have a second hand set I can fit if I want, though one has the black strip at the bottom and the other hasn't :)

wildejon

Anyone else got any of these? Or know where to get them?

I managed to snap a corner off one last week.... Could just leave it, the split is along the headlight/sidelight split so you can't see it but it is really annoying.

Henry Yorke
Anyone else got any of these? Or know where to get them?

I managed to snap a corner off one last week.... Could just leave it, the split is along the headlight/sidelight split so you can't see it but it is really annoying.

If the unbroken one is a drivers side one and has 2 lines all the way across and Peugeot on the bottom, like on Phils Griffe-a-like in the pics above, I might be interested!

Edited by Henry Yorke

Sign in to follow this