• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

[engine_work] Turbo Technics Engine Rebuilt Time.

Mad Professor

Good Day All.

After not having any big problems with my Turbo Technics engine for the last 3 years, my poor 205 is off the road for an engine rebuild.

At the start of march I found that when ever I was on high boost (1bar) I would get clutch slip, so I know that the clutch was on it's last legs.

The month before I was loseing a small amount of water, but could not find where from.

At the end of march the clutch gave up the go and my car tax was due to be renewed so I sorned the 205.

Since then I have been slowy stripping down the engine ready to be rebuild.

After pulling off the inlet manifold I found out where the small water leak was, it seems that the head gasket has been weeping water out and down the front of the block, so I guess it would of not been long unto the head gasket went.

Peugeot%20205%20Turbo%20Engine%20Strip%20Down%2019-04-2008%20Image06.jpg

Pulled the head off the engine, no signs of damage to the head and or valves, could cleary see where the water had been weeping across the head gasket, water was not crossing into the bores or oil wells, witch is a good sign.

I then removed all the pistons starting from the flywheel end. pistons 1,2,3 where fine, no sign of damage to the pistons, rings or liners, Piston 4's top ring was shattered, no damage has been done to the liner, the piston it's self is ok, apart from where a few parts of the shattered ring have over laped them selfs. so the roof and floor of where the top ring sits are no longer flat in a few spots.

The crank and bearings are all in good nick as well.

List of new parts to get so far.

Big End Bearings.

Conrod Bearings.

4x Piston Ring Set.

1x Head Gasket 1.5mm/1.6mm.

10x Head Bolts.

9x Head Bolt Spacers.

1x Big Head Bolt Spacer.

Now I have a few questions.

The piston rings in the engine where standard peugeot OE ones, would it be worth the extra money to get performance piston rings, and if so where from and how much.

And with regards to the damage to the roof and floor of the no 4 piston ring guides, would this be ok to use this piston again or would I need to have a new piston made?

I will try and get some pictures up later on today.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Edited by Mad Professor

Miles

It would be a good idea to get the block deck checked for flatness as these can go out of level, a skim would sort that out but the liner's would need to be machined to match to get the height right.

Mad Professor

Heres the piston ring.

Peugeot%20205%20Turbo%20Engine%20Strip%20Down%2001-05-2008%20Image21.jpg

The Piston.

Peugeot%20205%20Turbo%20Engine%20Strip%20Down%2001-05-2008%20Image22.jpg

Close up of the piston.

Peugeot%20205%20Turbo%20Engine%20Strip%20Down%2001-05-2008%20Image23.jpg

Edited by Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Don't let bordem settle in.

After a soak in the ultrasonic tank.

Peugeot%20205%20Turbo%20Engine%20Strip%20Down%2029-04-2008%20Image18.jpg

After a quick polish.

Peugeot%20205%20Turbo%20Engine%20Strip%20Down%2029-04-2008%20Image20.jpg

Bling my pistons. :wacko:

Tom Fenton

I personally wouldn't use that piston again, with the wear to the ring lands it is just askng for another ring to break.

Mad Professor

Tom Fenton: I would have to go along with that, I am not going to re-use that damaged piston.

Lucky for me that I have a few old spare 205 engines in my back yard, I've just pulled the pistons out of a spare 1.9 Gti, the pistons look ok, so I am going to get one of the pistons machined the same as my damaged piston.

Edited by Mad Professor

Mad Professor

The flywheel looks ok, a few spots can be seen where it apers to of changed colour due to getting hot.

Flywheel

as for the clutch it's self it still has aprox 7-7.5mm thick, or 2.5mm of pad each side of the clutch.

There is a crack / broken support from the center of the clutch to the outer pad, but I would not of tought this to give me the clutch slipping problems.

Helix Clutch - Top

Helix Clutch - Bottom

Helix Clutch - Side

Helix Clutch - Cracked Support

Miles

I would get the flywheel faced off as a matter of course, And is that painted? as it will bugger up the balancing of it