• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
whizzer71

Turbo Technics 205 1.9

whizzer71

As per ttle what cam did turbo technics use in the original 205 1.9 Turbos ?,was it the std 1.9 Gti item or was it a one off specifically for their conversion ?

:)

Edited by whizzer71

tom_m

std gti cam

whizzer71

Ok cheers Tom

whizzer71

What pistons did they use and are they still available ?,Im still toying with the idea of Turboing the std 1.9 engine thats currently in my 205 as only has 52K on it with FSH,Car is so nimble with the alloy engine in it and after having two others with cast lumps I deffo notice the difference !

tom_m

std pistons machined to drop the CR

whizzer71

Dont spose you know how much by do you Tom ?,You sound like you know a bit about these engines...also where did the oil return from the turbo drain back to / fit in to ?

danpug

Oil drain was back into sump. Iirc the compression was 8.6:1 or 8.7:1.

tom_m

no idea i'm afraid, but i know they'll still machine the pistons for you if you send them to them :)

and i believe the oil return was welded into the sump, but don't quote me on that.

matty_gti
and i believe the oil return was welded into the sump, but don't quote me on that.

Yes it is.

Miles

You can run them at std compression and get good results with a decent ECU fitted and not this 5th Injector rubbish

Bally

We have been getting real good results recently with High compression turbo, using water/methanol injection.

whizzer71
You can run them at std compression and get good results with a decent ECU fitted and not this 5th Injector rubbish

Prob wont be able to run much boost then ?,What sort of power could I expect to see from a standard D6B engine in good condidtion (52K) + turbo and mappable injection,I would rather strip it down and get pistons machined if it meant I could run more boost and get more torque/power.

Or could I just fit XU10 2.0 ltr 8 V turbo head with no machining of the pistons to get the compression sufficiently low ?

Sorry about all the Q's just wondering what my options are,I know the alloy engine isnt as strong as the cast unit but as I said earlier the cars feel so nimble with the lighter engine

Batfink

with modern ecu's the fuelling is infinitely more controllable so this idea of low compression to turbo is somewhat a red herring.

I'm sure it was Miles who told me to look at the Subaru rally cars. They run higher compression than the road cars. A bit extreme but its food for thought.

tom_m
with modern ecu's the fuelling is infinitely more controllable so this idea of low compression to turbo is somewhat a red herring.

I'm sure it was Miles who told me to look at the Subaru rally cars. They run higher compression than the road cars. A bit extreme but its food for thought.

yes but the engine in a wrc car only has to last 2 rallys not being driven day in day out.

Edited by tom_m

welshpug

VAG run their injection a step further advanced with Direct injection, but they still run 11-1 with boost on the 2.0T in the Mk5 Glof GTi, not sure what ratio they run in the S3 though.

as Miles and Batfink say its all down to the control and mapping of the fuelling and spark.

edit, M5 golf gti runs 0.9 bar of boost for 200 hp and 280Nm, S3 runs 9.8-1 with 1.2 bar for 265ps and 350 Nm :)

Edited by welshpug

Batfink
yes but the engine in a wrc car only has to last 2 rallys not being driven day in day out.

Like i said...its an extreme example, but my point still stands. Fueling has come a long way. There are loads of examples of turboed cars which put out far more power than ever before due to more finesse with regards to fuelling control and intake temperatures

whizzer71
VAG run their injection a step further advanced with Direct injection, but they still run 11-1 with boost on the 2.0T in the Mk5 Glof GTi, not sure what ratio they run in the S3 though.

as Miles and Batfink say its all down to the control and mapping of the fuelling and spark.

edit, M5 golf gti runs 0.9 bar of boost for 200 hp and 280Nm, S3 runs 9.8-1 with 1.2 bar for 265ps and 350 Nm :)

If theyre anything like the A5 Octy VRS you can keep em YAWN !...Too refined

Goliath

sorry to be a dumbass but when you say mappable ecu do you mean one like the ones sold by emerald?

cheers

whizzer71

Yep Emerald or KMS that kind of thing !

:D

Sign in to follow this