• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris H

My 205 Rally Car Suspension Set Up

Chris H

I'm just trying to get a good starting place for my suspension set up on my 205 mi16 rally car.

I'll be using the car for tarmac ralies and more likely closed road type events and Epynt rather than airfield typ single venues.

What i've got at the moment are Leda dampers on the front and AVO's on the rear.

i have a 309 beam and 309 front arms and 309 front roll bar

i'm planning to fit a pair of 200lb front springs (it came with 300's which are way too hard!)

I'll be fitting the 21.5mm TB's which i allready have(if i can get them out of an old beam i have) and i have a std 20mm arb in good cond.

I'm thinking of fitting a bigger arb...maybe 22-23mm

Any thoughts on this set up? What do you guys run?

maxirallye

I have done a number of rallies on Epynt etc and found my PTS group A set up worked well, with a few class wins etc.

Bilstein front strut bodies and tarmac inserts, group A front wishbones, 309 shafts.

Bilstein tarmac rear dampers, 21mm torsion bars, group A anti roll bar.

No real issues, just the usual rear bounce on landing off the big jumps..... Currently converting to rear coil overs.

Tony

Chris H

Well after lots of effort i have finally got my 21.5mm tb's out of the beam thats not been used for at least 10 years!

I should have the front springs tomorrow.

Once its all bolted together i see how it feels but i think i'll be looking for a new set up on dampers....i'm thinking of AST 3 way or AVO 3 way adjustable dampers if i can stretch the budget to them.

cybernck

not really a constructive reply, but surely you can't go wrong with GAZ GGA...

...especially having in mind the group buy pricing! :lol:

SPGTi

I think if you can go 3 way adjustable, then that is the best way to go, especially over Epynt. I have only ever done a night event over there, but being so fast I found it very easy to unsettle the rear end. A friends Proflexed rally car though is awesome, it just seems to soak everything up. CraigB is running Proflex rears on his road rally 205 and there is a thread somewhere saying how it has transformed the rear stability.

I am not sure how the AVO 3 ways compare to Proflex but they seem to have come on a long way.

Steve

brumster

Bilstein tarmac springs and forest inserts up front here, on Grp.A pattern lower arms and TAS adjustable alloy top mounts. The back runs the tarmac torsion bars (23mm) with Proflex dampers and standard anti roll bar.

The whole caboodle works a treat; the proflex on the back makes the world of a difference on the bumpy-yumpy stuff, but it depends what you're doing. Over smooth tarmac stuff, it's an extravagance you wouldn't need. I wouldn't focus on the ARB's much, but that's just me - I like a bit of 'roll'

Craigb

I think your 200lb springs are about spot on , can't comment aboutt the front dampers , never used them .

Rear TB I've got 21's too and they seem to be a good compromise

Rear ARB I've got a a 21mm, but it has been suggested that a 23 would be better , having seen the MAD videos from the last event , i can see where that would have been an advantage, although the stance was on 3 wheels , it felt stable.

Again , I don't know about the AVO's but the proflex option , altough expensive , is better than any money spent on the engine for example, you can just carry so much more speed over the not so smooth stuff.

I've done a couple of events over epynt and rear end control would be high on my agenda for the bumps and jumps , its so easy to lose it over there if you are on the pace .

Sign in to follow this