• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

Paintwork Issues And Machine Polishing

Tesstuff

Is there anyone local to Leicester/East Midlands on this forum who does machine polishing/detailing ?

I am about to look into to having some work done and would prefer to use a forum member and 'look after our own' if possible.

My paint is flat and full of swirls and little scratches , previous owner obviously saw it as a car and nothing else.

Regards

Daz

Dan Ingram

If you can get yourself over to Blackpool I'll happily sort it for you.

Tesstuff

Hey Dan , nice offer indeed :) It is a bit far but i won't count anything out at the moment.

Here is a pic i just took to try and show how it is, hope it helps.This is the worst side of the car by a mile, so im showing it at its worst.

http://www.zen93472.zen.co.uk/205/paint.jpg

Regards

Daz

Dan Ingram

Doesn't look to bad, easily fixable I'd say anyway.

toddydal

they were selling polish machines/grinder in local neto store for 19.99 last week,get some rubbing compound and do it yourself just take your time doing it and youll be ok,do all the fiddly bits by hand(door handles and edges etc etc)

Pug_101
they were selling polish machines/grinder in local neto store for 19.99 last week,get some rubbing compound and do it yourself just take your time doing it and youll be ok,do all the fiddly bits by hand(door handles and edges etc etc)

That's dangerous advice. If he's inexperienced he could do more damage than good.

You would need a Dual Action polisher and I highly recommend a polish that breaks down (like Meguiars #80 or #83) rather than rubbing compound. Even then you run the risk of polishing the paint off. If you go down this route check out Detailing World as thay have some very good guides on there.

Wish I could help you out, but unless you find yourself in South Wales for time to time I am too far away.

Rippthrough

I've a rotary and a few bits of kit but I'm pretty sure there's someone on here far closer, can't remember who though!

toddydal

its a universal tool with a polisher on 1 side very slow speed and a grinder on the other side faster speed,i bought 1 last week and are very easy to use as they spin quite slowly so your in control of the machine the whole time,as for the compound it depends on how bad the car is scratched and faded,Farecla G3 Advanced Liquid Compound is what i mean to use i know what your saying about inexperienced peolple and power tools dont mix but really they do spin very slow even if you do the bonnet 1rst to get used to it,if youve not got the covidence than by all means get some one to do it for you,or you could do it the hard way and do it by hand

Rippthrough

There is one thing I would suggest first - buy a tub of Bilt Hambers Autobalm and give it a couple of coats, see what it's like after, it won't remove the swirls but it's very good at hiding them.

IF you don't like it I'll have the tub off you as I'm running low anyway.

mattmk1

We do machine polishing, based in nuneaton. We live in Leicester so can even collect your car and re-deliver it if thats easier.

PM me if your interested.

Thanks

matt

Paintguy
That's dangerous advice. If he's inexperienced he could do more damage than good.

You would need a Dual Action polisher

I disagree. He doesn't NEED a dual action polisher, they are just more gentle on the paintwork (far too much so in my opinion), so tend to be favored by inexperienced operators

and I highly recommend a polish that breaks down (like Meguiars #80 or #83) rather than rubbing compound.

Almost all of the top name rubbing compounds are diminishing abrasives nowadays (i.e. they break down with use).

Tesstuff

I dont want to do it myself , i am good in my own field of expertise , i want someone good in this field to impress me and make my car look alot better.

But thankyou for the suggestions :) I did look on that Detailing World place and thats what made me see i needed it doing properly.My car would be a challenge , most of the cars ive seen photos of on that site are newish or in decent order.Much better to see some photos of an older car before and after.

Leicester is full of these drive in hand wash places now, that are brilliant and putting neat cleaner on the paintwork , and after three or four of these hand washes you realise its stripping the car of its shine.

None of them can do this machine cleaning and all the old places i remember from the past are long gone from their premises.I was just hoping someone knew someone local and could recommend them.

I will certainly keep looking.

Daz

Pug_101
I disagree. He doesn't NEED a dual action polisher, they are just more gentle on the paintwork (far too much so in my opinion), so tend to be favored by inexperienced operators.

I got the impression the OP was an inexperienced operator.

Ok maybe I shouldn't of said he NEED'S a DA polisher, but I recommend it.

I wouldn't recommend a rotary type machine that's for sure unless he was willing to spend the time learning how to use it.

Last Legend

Put a simlar post on DW and I'm sure someone will be able to do it on there for you,just make sure you get them to tape up all the trim.

KRISKARRERA

I've just just bought a polisher. Time to make my already stupidly shiney car even shinier! It's the shiney show! :lol:

Baz

I could do it, fairly skilled if i do say so myself.

Don't do much these days, but i do enjoy a good challenge in the form of fixing paint defects etc. I use a multiple speed rotary mop, and farecla compounds i find give the best results.

:lol: If you're not experienced then really do go easy!!

Tesstuff

Baz is that an offer lol!

It would be a challenge in places, i have photos of every panel for anyone who needs them.

Wouldnt need my computer skills would you ? :)

daveyboyblack

Take a look at this one to see what you should at least expect if you're paying someone to do it.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/show...=14901%E2%80%8F

I'm thinking of doing my mi16 sometime soon but as its mainly a track car I think i'll have a go myself, maybe with a dual action polisher. As people have pointed out, the are indeed much "easier" on the paint so i'm less likely to muck it all up <_<

D

Tesstuff

Wow, that 205 Gti transformation was incredible, i would be over the moon with that, but it would need a lot of time.

Now i can see where to aim for though <_<

Thankyou for that davey :angry:

Sign in to follow this