• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Braided Flexi Brake Pipes

Dave_McC

A while ago I bought some special (longer) braided front flexi brake pipes for fitting GTI 6 calipers - they were off ebay and were I think from Pugparts205 - who don't seem to be a registered seller any more. Went to fit them tonight and have a problem - the caliper end screws into the caliper fine, but the other end has a "free rotating" fitting - which is relatively short. As a result the male union on the rigid pipe only screws about 1 turn into the fitting (before I try to "crush" the flare). Without the brake pipe, the union screws in only 3 and a bit turns before bottoming out.

I did have to replace the rigid pipe, and put a double flare on the end - don't know if that makes much of a difference, but can't imagine it does.

I've also got a complete Goodridge flexi pipe set (bought to get the rears) - and on this the fitting is not "free rotating" and is longer - without the brake pipe, the union screws in about 6 turns - which is about the same as for the standard pug pipes where were fitted on my 1.6 GTI.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not happy (even if I can crush the flare sufficiently for a leak free joint) that this is a safe solution. Suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Dave_McC

Miles

Got any pic's?,

But 1 turn of a thread in sounds very iffy to me and I would not use it personally, I know the ones I supply have the swivel end but you get a good few turn before you start seal the joint. You'll also find that the Goodridge ones don;t really fit well as I;ve said many a time before I wonder why after 20odd yr's they still can;t get the fittings the right size

Should have PM'd me as I have all these on the shelf

Bakes100

I used Miles' hoses on my gti6 calipers and they fitted perfectly :rolleyes:

McDude

Another happy Miles' customer here!

Doesn't help you out though! But if you are in any doubt, don't use them. The £50-60 it will cost you for some new hoses will offset the price of your funeral when the others pop off under heavy braking!

Dave_McC

Cheers guys - I have no intention of using them as they are - even if they did seal there is nowhere near enough threads engaged - rule of thumb is that thread fittings should screw in 1.5 times their diameter. With brakes, I don't take risks!

My only thought is if you can get male unions which are shorter - the ones I have have a non-threaded bit at the end - if I could get some shorter ones threaded all the way then I'd get quite a few more turns of thread engaged.

Dave

Dave_McC

Miles

Just bought some from your ebay shop.

Thanks fpr the plug / pointer :wacko:

Dave

Dave_McC

JH

Realised it probably wasn't pugparts205 that they came from - they were I think from MJHORNETPUG - who I now can't find on ebay. I bought them at the beginning of Jan this year.

Ho hum - live and learn!

Dave

Dave_McC

Now I'm really confused. Just received the flexi pipes from Miles - and they're the same as the ones I'd already got. The brake pipe unions I've got screw in only about 3 turns without the brake pipe. I then made up a pipe with flare and fitted to the flexi - maximum it screws in (compressing the flare) is 2.75 turns - which I don't feel happy with. I've got some pics of the brake pipe/union screwed into both the "Miles" pipe and also into the Goodridge hose I have (spare, as I bought a complete GTI set so am not using the fronts) - these really show the difference. With the Goodridge pipe the union screws in 5 turns (with the brake pipe fitted).

I'll try to upload the photos. (ps - how do I do this?)

What am I doing wrong....???

Thanks

Dave

cybernck

(you can upload pictures on add reply page)

Miles

Sounds like you;ve got some strange fitting's on the solid line's, I;ve used and fitted loads of these on various Pug's of all types and ages plus lot's of other car's too and have all been spot on

ifcho

Most probably you've got some imperial type fittings on your pipes, not the 10x1 metric ones.

Dave_McC

As I don't seem to be able to upload photos to this site, I'll link the pics - could someone have a look at them and let me know what I'm doing wrong! The unions are M10x1 - as I used the same unions to replace the front to rear and across rear pipes on the cti I had previously, and have already replaced the across rear pipe using these fittings on this car.

The pics are as follows:

1) union fitted into flexi pipe - and fully tightened - with an identical union alongside to show how little of the threads are engaged

2) the union / flare after it was fitted and removed from the flexi

3) union fitted into the Goodridge front flexi pipe.

http://davemcc.fotopic.net/p50115171.html

http://davemcc.fotopic.net/p50115173.html

http://davemcc.fotopic.net/p50115174.html

Thanks for your help

Dave

Edited by Dave_McC

Sign in to follow this