• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Leon C

1.8 Xu 16v

Sandy

Makes me sound cleverer than I am, briefly!

wardy18

i have faith in you mate

Edited by wardy18

af1
i have faith in you mate

hey there i have a few questions

i have this engine in a 306 im breaking for spares, i like the 205 but prefer the 309 shape, which will i be able to get cheaper, does the car need to be a GTi to start or could i shoe horn this engine into any 205 i found (i alwayss heard that the 205 gti is different to the normal ones, body wise) if anyone knows of either car going cheaply then please let me know!

also is rust a big issue on these cars, idealy i would have liked to put it in a 106 as its newer but being tu engined only, i guess thats not going to happen

what should i save from the 306, also i have heard people say when removing s16 engines or something that you have to unplug the ecu or something whilst the engine is running and then snip a wire to stop the imobiliser from working

hope you can help me, would love a standard looking 205 or 309 that could scare a few people

GLPoomobile
i have this engine in a 306 im breaking for spares, i like the 205 but prefer the 309 shape, which will i be able to get cheaper,

309s are harder to come by, but you'll often find them cheaper when they do come up as they are less sought after (due to being ugly :P ). But at the end of the day, it will come down entirely to what you can find. 205 GTIs still vary massively in price and can be found for sub £500.

does the car need to be a GTi to start or could i shoe horn this engine into any 205 i found (i alwayss heard that the 205 gti is different to the normal ones, body wise)

With the necessary time/skills/money anything can be done. But basically if you have a later shell (from roughly 87 onwards IIRC :D ) with a TU engine then the engine mounts should be the same. But you'll really need/want to swap to full GTI running gear with it - subframe, wishbones, shafts, brakes, rear beam etc.

also is rust a big issue on these cars,

Again, very subjective. Anything around '89 and '90 tends to be the best. Compared to many cars of their age they are pretty good, but you are still looking at a 15-24 year old car!

what should i save from the 306, also i have heard people say when removing s16 engines or something that you have to unplug the ecu or something whilst the engine is running and then snip a wire to stop the imobiliser from working

hope you can help me, would love a standard looking 205 or 309 that could scare a few people

I'm no expert, but I'd say you want the complete engine with all ancilliaries, the full engine wiring loom and ECU, and gearbox. You won't need the driveshafts. You could potentially put the front brakes to use on your 205/309. Other than that it's worth keeping anything salvageable and selling off on eBay.

With the immobiliser, again I'm no expert, but I know with most you simply unplug the ECU with the ignition on (Possibly with the engine running :unsure: )

Most of the above may be better off posted as a general question in the General forum, where it will get more hits than it will in this topic.

EDIT: just to add, don't take the above as gospel! It's a quick reply to get you started, and hopefully others can clarify any mistakes I've made and/or fill in the blanks. The 'huh' smilies were used for a very good reason ;)

Edited by GLPoomobile

Sign in to follow this