• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Mot Failure

driversdomainuk

Hi

I no longer use the rear brakes on my 205 as some of you may know - with fantastic results on the track (no more locking up!!)

Anyway would having the rears disconnected be an MOT failure...?

If not would totally removing the calipers and discs be a failure..?

Thanks

Anthony

If the rear brakes are present, then they must work and achieve a minimum amount of braking effort. If the rear brakes weren't there at all, I'm not sure if it would fail or not - have a look through the MOT book and see if rear brakes are mandatory (I would suspect so)

Remember you'll also need a handbrake for the MOT, which unless you plan to use Citroen BX/Xantia front calipers and rebuild them with suitable seals for normal brake fluid, will mean retaining the rear calipers.

I still cannot understand how you can prefer having no rear brakes though - cars I've driven with low/no rear brake effort have been horrible under braking frankly, and have always felt much better with the rear brake problem addressed.

driversdomainuk

Your guess is as good as mine - I know they "should" be bad, but they are not, they are fantastic..and trust me, I am really pushing them when hill climbing...the car feel incredibly stable and balanced. If they were not, I would change it.

RonnieG

I also think any MOT station is going to insist on a minimum level of brake efficiency on the rear brakes on any car for it to pass.

I'm sure it's one of the tick boxes on the pass sheet too.

Might be worth calling & asking but I'd be surprised....

Sign in to follow this