• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BERTMAN

Few Questions

BERTMAN

These may have been asked before but im gettin annoyed with the search engine so im posting...

Im pretty sure my radiator fan isnt coming on at all as my car eventually overheats if you leave it for long enough, just idleing away in a queue of traffic for instance, at what point on the temperature gauge is the fan supposed to come on? im going to assume this is proberly thermostat related?

the other thing with my car (this has happened twice) is when the car is upto temperature and i nail it, the car suddenly loses power so badly that it actually becomes almost impossible to drive, no matter how little or how much throttle you put on the car loses power unless you put your foot right to the floor and even then its sluggish and hesitant, the only way you can drive it when this happens it to pull the choke out and then it just about becomes drivable if your careful with the accelerator, it happened about a week ago and i just managed to get the car home, i left it for a whilie made sure all the hoses and fuel pipes around the carb were on properly and then for a week it was fine, the it happened again last night so i went about the same checks again this morning and also sprayed the carb with carb cleaner, and it seems ok again for now... but im not convinced its cured and reckon itll do it again... what do you think this is? fuel pump?, air leak? considering it can be fine for long periods of time and then just act s*** again?

Cheers

Liam

Guest dakin

This sounds exactly the same as what my rallye is doing at the moment.

I also cleaned the carb and that sorted it for a few weeks but it's happened a couple of times since then.

I would also be interested to hear any replies.

kanyeost

Check those vacuum pipes again, I had a split in the manifold to distributor vacuum pipe that caused me months of having to drive on choke...

johnnyboy666

the overheating problem sounds exactly the same as what happened to mine because the temp sensor wasnt working (theyre pretty cheap to replace i think and you get different colours to represent the different temps that they kick in) but i just put a manual switch on it, i think there is a guide to doing it on here somewhere. as for the other problem it sounds like it could be the carb jets full of gooo in which case take 'em out and give 'em a clean, or more likely, the fuel filter might need changing if it hasnt recently, only a few quid so worthwhile anyway. also where did you last fill up your tank because you mightve got some dodgey fuel which could be why its stuttering at low revs as my mates was doing this the other week and after taking the carb apart and checking everything we could think of, found out that his brother illed it up wih some cheap petrol from some skanky little garage :D

BERTMAN

ill replace the fuel filter and ill double check all the pipes for cracks, actually you might be onto something with the inlet manifold to servo pipe as ive noticed today the brake pedal seems a little hard... i always use good petrol so i dont think thats a problem but i have ran out of petrol in it a few times so wouldnt be surprised if the jets were clogged with crap lol... ill give them a clean too haha

ill change the sensor too cos this hot weather and no fan = no fun :D

Guest OldGit

our old uk rallye had a similar running problem, and eventually the carb cleaner stopped working.

i pulled the carb off and found that the choke linkage was basically fubar... all the rods/cams up the side of the carb had come loose and some bits were missing. bizzare, i assumed that someone had done a bodgy rebuild.

i had an ax gt carb sitting in a box waiting to go on a 205 cj, so i just fitted that instead. the connector for the little heater element thing was wrong, i just ignored it rather than putting a new connector on the harness and never had any cause to think it should have been sorted.

DaveW

Just hard wire the fan to a toggle switch on the dash, ive had to do that after my cj kept getting too hot in traffic or left idling.

Edited by DaveW

BERTMAN

cleaned up all the carb, replaced a few knackered hoses and replaced the fuel filter, then put a PiperX air filter on it lol and it runs great :lol:... still got to do the rad fan mind but now the alternator belt is slipping haha u gotta love old cars

DaveW

Good to see its all good again, did u work out the funky breather pipe i sent as well? i just stuck a plastic bottle on the end...

BERTMAN

yeh, i wasnt too sure what to do with it so i just ran it underneath the inlet manifold lol, i think i might have one of them little piperX filters (like the ones on the crappy ecotek valves) lying about so may just put that on if i find it haha.. cheers for the filter by the way mate... sounds much better now

DaveW

Ah i see i ran it from the crankcase to next to the battary with a vettel water bottle lol, yeah you can get them breathers cheap but i found they leak oil, also zorst is still with me let me know should sound mint with the piperx :)

BERTMAN

haha, sounds like an idea... and yeh i reckon it will sound great, ill definently have it off you when i have the funds!!! my other car is rapeing me of money at the min lol

Sign in to follow this