• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanS1982

Rear Brake Issue

DanS1982

Car went for its MOT at the weekend, passed eveything with flying colours except one rear brake is not recording enough effort.

Replaced the compensator, disks are fine and pads are fine (cleaned them up as well). This leads to only one thing? The caliper...

Will a repair kit sort this issue or will I need to get a refurbished item? If so where is the cheapest place to get one from?

Cheers,

Dan

nick

It's probably the sliders sticking, just take the pads out and push the caliper back and forwards on the sliders (pull one of the rubber boots up and spray some chain lube in there as well)

Nick

welshpug

probably sounds arse backwards but unless the braking force is seriously low its probably the compensator for the other side gone open circuit.

DanS1982
probably sounds arse backwards but unless the braking force is seriously low its probably the compensator for the other side gone open circuit.

But when the rears are tested for an open are they not fully open anyway? As there is no inertia (foward movement) during the test?

The problem side was around 50% less braking power than the other.

Nick - I've had the pads out and moved the piston in and out, cleaned up the pads etc etc. It operates fine, just does not provide as much stopping power as the other side for some reason.

Can you still get repair kits for the calipers?

welshpug

do you have the readings from the brake test?

the 205 compensator's don't work with forward movement, they simply restrict the pressure, in the 309 the same compensator's are mounted vertically in the engine bay!!

yes you can still get rebuild kits, the very same caliper is still in use on many cars and was used on many cars previously (i.e anything small and French will more than likely have them)

Emmy Seize

We should probably make this question sticky somehow.

This must be the third or fourth time the topic comes up within the last couple of weeks.

As said above, the wheel with the lower reading is not the problem.

The compensator on the other side will be the one that's done.

They just seize in the "open" position, thus not limiting pressure as they ought to.

DanS1982

Welshpug - Readings where around 150 one side and 55 ish the other (if that makes sence?)

Emmy - You sound prety confident so I'll give that a go. May just order a caliper repair kit just incase though as I only have till thursday to get it sorted or I'll lose my free retest.

DanS1982

Also, how does one side effect the other when they both have individual feeds from the Master Cylinder?

davemar

Those are very similar readings to mine when I had one compensator stuck open. I replaced the compensator on the 150-strength side, and it came down to around 50, the same as the other side. Trouble is MOT places often think 50 is too low to be allowed, though according to the MOT rules I think it is the total force of all 4 wheels that must be above a minimum, and left-right balance must be within tolerance.

DanS1982
Also, how does one side effect the other when they both have individual feeds from the Master Cylinder?

Can anyone answer this?

davemar

I don't think they can affect each other, apart from if one side is leaking and you'll end up no fluid or brakes!

DanS1982

So its more a case of there is only so much fluid in the system. If one side is flowing it quicker (open compensator) the other side has less fluid to flow hence less power in the calipers?

jas-E

From what i understand there is one feed going to the rear from the master cylinder which tees off to both wheels. So if your compensator is open circuit then more fluid to that caliper and more braking...

welshpug
From what i understand there is one feed going to the rear from the master cylinder which tees off to both wheels. So if your compensator is open circuit then more fluid to that caliper and more braking...

only on a 1.6, on a 1.9 the circuit is split diagonally.

welshpug

they can't because as you know a 1.9 has a diagonally split system.

dani959
they can't because as you know a 1.9 has a diagonally split system.

TRUE!

The 1.9 is diagonally split, meaning any leaking caliper will empty one side of the system and you'll get one front wheel and one rear wheel braking (confirmed as it just happened in my car). Not very safe though, you'll get a MASSIVE pedal travel and a very easy to lock front wheel!!!

One rear compensator stuck open will NOT (in the 1.9) affect the other side, instead it will let the pressure rise by as much as you can press the pedal. The problem it causes in the MOT is brake unbalance in the rear axle, because the wheel with the OK compensator will not brake more than the specified (usually, they don't lock on foot brake, happens on the 205 and also on the 206 I have).

Guys, whenever talking about brakes, always think in terms of pressure and not of "amount" of fluid displaced. That's how they work... PRESSURE.

Sign in to follow this