• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Mi16 Sump Spacer

philfingers

I have a 4x4 Mi16 engine which is sitting on the my garage floor awaiting inspection.

It;s fitted with a sump spacer, is this std for an Mi motor or could it just be an 8v one thats been fitted?

If it is an Mi one should I use this or an 8v one with a GTi6 sump, extended pickup, GTi6 windage plate (need to fit it somehow, will the gti6 mains bolts work in the alloy Mi?

Any help appreciated

Phil

DrSarty

From waht I've learnt in my build, there is only one type of spacer. I don't believe it's normal for an Mi to have one, but the spacer shows up on the 8v parts catalogue and fits straight on. I have S16 block with GTi6 sump AND one of these spacers.

As it increases oil capacity it can't be a bad thing, although it could reduce ground clearance. You may be lucky and have other goodies fitted such as a baffled sump and a windage tray. And as one is fitted now, then maybe it already has an extended oil pickup.

petert

All XU9 sump spacers are the same. The same part was fitted to 8V and 16V versions, in addition to the finned sump.

XU10 mains bolts will not fit an XU9. XU10 has M12, whilst XU9 are M11. This is why I developed the modified spacer plate, which takes the XU10 windage tray.

philfingers

Thanks guys. Is there enough space to tap the xu9 block out to M12 to take the 'six' mains bolts? I managed to source one of your oil pump extensions pete s/h from over here, already done and welded. I may well come back to you for the sump spacer mounts. I like to tinker tho so am going to see what other ways i can come up with to sort the mounting of the windage plate out,

Phil

petert
Is there enough space to tap the xu9 block out to M12 to take the 'six' mains bolts?

Possibly, but you'd have to re-dowel as well, then line bore the block. An expensive option.

RonnieG

I remember considering this option too as the Gti6 Sump I bought for my Mi16 engine came with the windage tray as part ot the package and I kept it in the garage for possible future use.

The best idea I came across was from 'Anthony' I think who suggested welding some 6mm bolts on to the bottom of the mains which then in turn you could use to bolt the windage tray on to using a couple of 10mm nuts to 'locknut' on.

As said I haven't done this yet but can't see any obvious reason it would not work.......

C_W
I remember considering this option too as the Gti6 Sump I bought for my Mi16 engine came with the windage tray as part ot the package and I kept it in the garage for possible future use.

The best idea I came across was from 'Anthony' I think who suggested welding some 6mm bolts on to the bottom of the mains which then in turn you could use to bolt the windage tray on to using a couple of 10mm nuts to 'locknut' on.

As said I haven't done this yet but can't see any obvious reason it would not work.......

I think that's what CRF450 did to one of his engines.

KRISKARRERA
I don't believe it's normal for an Mi to have one,
:) Sarty!!! They all had them!!!

VisaGTi16v

Its not really a "spacer" either, its a brace for the bottom of the block which just happens to space the sump down a bit heh

philfingers

Yes I was thinking of going this route, just a couple of spots with the mig to hold a small 6mm bolt in place. Until I get it all apart I won't know. Sounds like a good option tho.

RonnieG

Whilst I had my sump off I had a quick look and it did appear as though it was going to be fairly tight for space to fit the Windage Tray in between the top of the spacer/brace and the bottom of the crank as it revolves around.

I didn't really have the time there and then as I was just wanting the car back running and left this as my 'next stage'.

Let us know how you get on.......

nick

This how my windage tray fits, Martin (CRF450) weld studs onto the top of the main bolts.

post-145-1208811127_thumb.jpg

post-145-1208811221_thumb.jpg

post-145-1208811632.jpg

Edited by nick

RonnieG

Thats good to know & even better with these pictures - Thanks!!

Gonna print these out and file them in my 205 Manual.....

philfingers

yes that's just the sort of thing I had in mind. Although I was thinking of welding a cap head bolt in 6mm to the mains bolt head and using washers to get the height right by experimentation.

TDR250, I had one of those years ago. It back fired and blew the exhausts cans apart they were that rotten!

nick

Just note that there is no provision for the spacer/stiffener plate, I'm running without one.

Nick

p.s. My TDR is a minter!! 10,000 geniuine miles.....!!

philfingers

I'm definately going to run the stiffner, even if it means taking the stiffner webs out. I'm hoping to just cut them down a bit tho.

A rare thing a mint TDR, even 15 years ago!

RonnieG

Yeh - My understanding has always been that the main purpose of the alloy plate was to stiffen up the bottom end of the all alloy 1905cc blocks.

As and when I come to fit this to mine I will certainly try and leave the webs as close as possible to the way they are - If I had to remove them then I think I would try and replace them with curved alloy plates as in Peter T's web site rather than just run with nothing.

C_W

Tbh, it's called a stiffener plate but it's usually stuck to the block with sealant and the bolts aren't very tight so I can't see it doing a great deal to add stiffness and there are a lot of modified 1.6s running without them without problems. I believe the original Skip Brown 1.9 conversion were done using the original sumps (ie no spacer/stiffener).

This how my windage tray fits, Martin (CRF450) weld studs onto the top of the main bolts.[attachment=4622:resize.jpg
Ah that must be engine Martin told me about, I had one of those windage trays but never fitted it due to it not going on without some work.

KRISKARRERA

Well if the 2 bars were taken out of the stiffener that'd certainly make for easier sump sealing.

philfingers

bear in mind an alloy sump is stiffer than a steel one anyway.

nick

I don't see any problem running without the stiffener/spacer plate. It has cross bolted mains and a thick alloy sump, which when using the gti-6 sump has the baffle in which is like a brace across the sump as well.

Nick

Sign in to follow this