• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Only One Speed With Windscreen Wipers

Atari Boy

My windscreen wipers only work on one speed regardless of whether it is in position two or three, position one, intermittent, works okay.

I have removed the scuttle panel and re-greased everything in the past two months but it made no difference.

They are still quite slow also.

I can’t remember seeing at relay switch or anything under there, is there one? The service box is quoting £206 inclusive for a new motor!

Is it the motor or possibly a replay switch or something else?

Thanks

Jony

MrG

earthing problem maybe?

Baz

Resistance issue at a guess.

sonofsam
My windscreen wipers only work on one speed regardless of whether it is in position two or three, position one, intermittent, works okay.

I have removed the scuttle panel and re-greased everything in the past two months but it made no difference.

They are still quite slow also.

I can’t remember seeing at relay switch or anything under there, is there one? The service box is quoting £206 inclusive for a new motor!

Is it the motor or possibly a replay switch or something else?

Thanks

Jony

I would probably look at the motor being faulty, other options could be a bad earth / faulty stalk and I *think* there is a relay in the glove compartment.

There is a recent thread running on the Ph1 106(many in the breakers and newer items too!) motor being the same as the 205, but no-one has fitted one yet to absolutely confirm this.

Greasing the spindles and new(ish) arms should help to speed them up once you have a new motor, most of the arms nowadays have absolutley no spline's in them were they locate onto the spindle.

Hope that helps,

Sam.

Atari Boy

Thanks Sam, Andrew and Baz, I will investigate the earth first and then take it from there.

Edited by Atari Boy

AdamP

Wiper relay is my guess!

Atari Boy

Thanks Adam.

Does anyone know exactly where the relay is?

DaveW

Think its the blue one on the fuse board.

Jrod

It is, thought this only controlled intermittent wipe though?

Anthony
It is, thought this only controlled intermittent wipe though?

That's how I understood it, as poverty-spec base models don't have that relay and still have normal and fast wipe speed (but no intermittent)

AdamP

I have to say I don't know much about 205 relays, but in my Polo part of the wiper relay disintegrated leaving only 2 functions working. It had one relay that controlled all the functions (2 speeds and intermittent) and the intermittant and first speed stopped working.

Atari Boy

I will investigate this replay business, now I bet that they are £88 each from Pug.

So near, yet so far :( .

Edited by Atari Boy

DaveW

Could also be the stalk?

Jrod
poverty-spec base models don't have that relay

:(

My rallye isn't poverty spec and it didn't have it as standard! :)

Atari Boy

Relax JRod, my GTi may as well be poverty spec, it has been pouring with rain recently.

Sign in to follow this